    What a load of rubbish. You can have a router with a POTS dial-up if
    you want (though it's rare) and an ISDN router is an excellent way to
    use an ISDN connection.

    usenet, Dec 6, 2004

  2. TA

    usenet Guest

    Rubbish!!!!! Why is there this (false) idea that a router requires
    an always on (ADSL) connection.

    A red dialler eh!?

    If the PC is on then there are *lots* of things that will cause the
    router to make a conenction, most of which are legitimate. Automatic
    updates, handshaking across the network, etc., etc.

    usenet, Dec 6, 2004

  3. TA

    Tx2 Guest

    [...]
    and there are lots that are not so legitimate .... given the OP has no
    idea what is doing the dialling, one might make the presumption he needs
    to be looking for something 'rogue' in the first instance.

    Tx2, Dec 6, 2004
  4. TA

    Ernest Bilko Guest

    Had this prbolem once on an ISDN router caused Demons own mail applet --
    checking for mail by default every 15minutes.

    Ernest Bilko, Dec 6, 2004
  5. TA

    usenet Guest

    Maybe, but having an ISDN router on a small home network I know there
    are *lots* of (non-nasty, except for the cost of the connection) things
    which make it connect when one is not actually 'using' the internet.
    The default case with a 'clean' out of the box installation of MS Windows
    operating systems will give you lots of 'unwanted' connections.

    'Rogue diallers' most certainly *won't* make a router connect as the
    'dialling' (if such it can be called on an ISDN router) is set up in
    the router and the dialler attempting to dial out of a PC will have no
    effect at all (unless there happens to be a modem in the PC).

    The thing that makes the router connect is an attempt to access an IP
    address that's not local, a dialler won't do this.

    This and the NAT software in the router make an ISDN/router set up
    fairly immunde to lots of nasties that can attack PCs with modems in
    the PC.

    usenet, Dec 6, 2004
  6. No. Or maybe, first as it is quick to do and will take care of this
    possibility; but not as the most likely candidate.
    Again: it is very likely that nothing is "trying to dial the Internet".
    A networked printer may simply be making a broadcast saying "I am here",
    intended for other machines on the network, but triggering the router.
    This won't happen with non-networked printers, of course. From a
    newsgroup posting: "If you have network printers using tcpip turn them
    off and see if the ISDN quits dialing. Network printers have frequent
    broadcast packets that can trick SBS into reconnecting. I blocked these
    requests on a Unix server ..."
    Yet again, the point I am trying to make is that networked systems try
    to send and receive packets, thus forcing an Internet connection, all
    the time for all sorts of reason: to check the time every 30 seconds, to
    update their DNS tables, and so on. Have you noticed that when you start
    up a Windows peer-to-peer network it sometimes takes several minutes
    before the machines are recognise on the network? There is a lot of non-
    malicious network traffic going on in that period.

    If the question had been "how do I make my network secure?", I would
    have said "look for malware"; and this should, indeed, be done
    routinely. But "why does it often connect to the Internet"? I've
    explained the most likely cause. But yes, I do agree that a check for
    malware is desirable. And, of course, it is not impossible that this is
    the cause here.

    From another posting:

    Me:
    But the concept STILL doesn't seem to have sunk in that a router
    connects routinely and silently to the Internet when it meets any need
    to send or receive information to an address it doesn't recognise as
    local.

    I don't think I have any new information to provide, and don't see any
    point in repeating what I've said, or arguing, so I'm unlikely to
    continue posting to this thread.

    Best wishes,

    Michael Salem, Dec 6, 2004
  7. I do have one more suggestion to add: if you have set up a time server
    address in the router itself, the Vigor routers tend to have a default
    time checking interval of 30 seconds. So do use the router's browser
    interface to check that this is not the cause of the problem.

    A posting here points to the seriousness of malware (sending out
    information to malicious parties, etc.), and gives this as a reason for
    checking for malware first.

    This is all giving me a headache. As a headache can be caused by a brain
    tumour, I suppose I should go for a brain scan.

    Best wishes,

    Michael Salem, Dec 6, 2004
  8. TA

    Tx2 Guest

    Well, *something* is trying to access the outside world. I'm wrong of
    course to suggest the PC is "dialling"; being in somewhat a hurry to get
    out earlier, that is not what I meant (but this is usenet, so it's
    pointless trying to retract something, sticky mud and all that)

    Nonetheless, having had an ISDN connection via a router, and now via
    ADSL, I am very aware of how they work ;-)

    Of course, we don't know if anything has been added to the network - a
    config changed here, set-up reconfigured there - and as such, given
    today's computing environment, I took the 'security approach'.

    Likewise, there is every possibility malware is in there and looking to
    broadcast to the outside world.

    Of course, other sentiments as to what might be causing it are
    absolutely correct, but then, I've never said they weren't.
    See my comments above concerning knowledge of routers.
    Arguing? I don't see an argument, merely a discussion as to what might
    or might not be causing this unfortunate fellow's router to connect to
    his ISP. However, I too don't have anything to add, hopefully the
    collated thoughts from this group will give him food for thought to
    resolve it.

    Tx2, Dec 6, 2004
  9. TA

    Owen Rees Guest

    That was my experience when I had an ISDN connection. Windows seems to
    assume that having a live LAN connection (as you do when connected to
    the ISDN router(*)) means it is acceptable to do all sorts of network
    related things in the background. I never managed to track down all the
    things that used the network so as to shut them up.

    I used to adopt a policy of disabling the network on the PC whenever I
    did not want to use it so that the router did not forget the
    authentication, but saw no traffic that would prompt it to connect.

    ADSL is faster, cheaper, and much more convenient.

    (*) Note that the Ascend Pipeline that I had called itself a router, and
    it was a router despite having only one WAN port and one LAN port.

    Owen Rees, Dec 6, 2004
  10. TA

    usenet Guest

    Yes, if it's available!

    A router can only have one WAN and one LAN port really, if it has more
    than one LAN port then it is a switch/hub as well as a router. The
    two functions can be quite separate. Nearly every ADSL router does
    have a hub/switch built into it but that's just the way things are
    sold (and it's very convenient) rather than a necessity.

    usenet, Dec 7, 2004
  11. TA

    Pete Guest

    Usually an ISDN router should only connect if the PC tells it to.
    If the PC is not connected when the ISDN router connects, then you
    need to look at your connection settings for the ISDN link (I don't know
    the router you have to give any more specific advice of which settings to
    look at.

    I would guess if DHCP is enabled then this would not cause the router to dial
    but it is worth checking.
    What about routing? Are you using static routing or RIP/RIPv2? RIP may
    cause this to occur. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

    Pete

    Pete, Dec 7, 2004