Router connection switches off when computer is in standby mode

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Mar 1, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I had to reformat and re-install XP – home on my Inspiron notebook after it
    was infected with a spy ware. The system is working fine with the clean hard
    drive.
    I however have a minor problem with the wireless internet connection.
    I use a 2Wire 1701 HG router with a Netgear MA 521 PC Card. When connecting
    and surfing the net, it is working fine.
    When the laptop is put on standby mode, the local network on the router
    switches off. I have to switch off and switch on the router for the wireless
    to connect again.
    I contacted 2 Wire and this is what they said.
    “This sounds like a problem with the way Windows handles the standby feature
    and waking up the TCP/IP services. I would suggest you contact your OEM or
    Microsoft to get this issue resolvedâ€.
    I have not made any changes while installing or configuring the wireless.
    Can you suggest a solution?
    Thanks
    Krishna

    Guest, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Hi Krishna,

    If the power to your wireless adapter is turned off by your computer going
    into standby, it will lose the IP address. I don't think it's necessary to
    power cycle your router, but this is one method you can use to restore the
    laptop's IP address (which it obtains by something called dynamic host
    configuration protocol or DHCP). You should be able to also execute a
    "repair" of the wireless connection, or go to a command prompt and execute
    an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

    However, there may be an easier thing for you to do here. Go into your
    control panel and click on Network Connections. Find your wireless
    connection, right-click it and then click Properties. Click configure, and
    then click the Advanced tab. Now look for power save mode under the list of
    properties, and set the value to disabled. If you don't see this, there may
    be power management tab next to the Advanced tab. Click on this and
    de-select the "allow the computer to turn off this device.." option. You get
    the idea - we are trying to prevent the wireless adapter from going to
    "sleep" when your computer enters power-save mode.

    Your laptop battery will drain a little faster in standby mode if you don't
    let the wireless adapter cut power, but you should keep your IP address.

    I hope this helps!

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Mar 1, 2007

  3. Hi
    1. Make sure that the power saving in the Laptop's Wireless card
    configuration is disabled.
    This setting usually can be found in the Network Connection Properties by
    clicking on the configuration button of the Network card,
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
    2. Make sure that Windows Power Saving is Not Saving Power of any Network
    related activities.
    You can control the behavior by looking at the Control Panel and double
    click on the Power Saving Icon.
    3. Most Laptops comes with active propriety Power Saving system install by
    the manufacturer. Read the laptop's manual s and find how to disable the
    Network related Power Saving (in any).
    4. Unfortunately due to poor design, in some Laptop not matter what you do
    this phenomenon would persist.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 1, 2007
  4. Guest

    James Guest

    You dont need to switch off the router and back on again.
    the problem is in the netgear card. it gets powered off
    when your computer goes to standby....(why u do this??)
    reinsert the card. reconnect.
    or
    dos window.
    ipconfig/renew

    good idea- those guys have. dont allow the computer to shut off power to
    this device.
    if that is a possibility. look at device manager properties for this
    hardware.

    James, Mar 2, 2007