    Java doesn't conform to Sun's Java standard. Microsoft's two basic choices
    were to re-write their own Java engine so it conformed to Sun's Java
    standard, or drop it all together. Obviously, they did the latter.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Plato

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Yeah, basically just do <a href="file://c|/">Your hard drive</a> and you'll
    get a link to your local C: drive. You can go and add some javascript to
    change the status bar text if you wanted to just to make the whole thing
    more believable.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Plato

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Yes, and they are able to drop Java because .NET is a Standard like Java is
    a Standard, which is controlled and approved by he ISO and ECMA and is not
    propriety to MS as MS doesn't own .Net. The only proprietary element is VB
    ..Net that is owned by MS. And that's why .NET is on the scene because of
    the fallout between MS and Sun about Java. I recently completed 4 weeks of
    company paid .Net training which the history was explained as to why .Net
    came about and is on the scene, because of that fallout between MS and Sun
    about Java. And who is on the board of the ISO and ECMA Standards
    Committees are MS, Sun Micro Systems, Intel, and HP. Who do you think MS is
    going to push as the Standard to be used on their own paltform and across
    platforms?

    Let's not forget whose world this really is at this particular time. ;-)

    http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 22, 2004