Router and Internal IP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Plato, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Plato

    Duane Arnold Guest

    What internal IP are you talking about? Yes, the test showed the public IP
    that's assigned to my modem and my account with the ISP. For any Internet
    traffic to even reach your network with the router as the gateway device,
    the public IP on the public side of the router must be known that's
    assigned to the modmn by the ISP. The test didn't show the private IP that
    the machine was using on the private side or internal side of my FW
    appliance. I doubt that the test is showing a 192.168.1.x IP that the
    machine is using behind the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Yep, it is showing the 192.168.1.xxx thus the reason for my inquiry.

    Plato, Nov 19, 2004
  4. Plato

    Thor Guest

    it would be interesting then, if you were to assign a different IP address
    to your machine, then run the test again, and see if the change is seen.

    Thor, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Plato

    Plato Guest

    grin, changed it, the webpage got the new one. Odd thing, this only
    happens on 1 of the 4 pcs on the router. Maybe I'm the DMZ PC :)

    Plato, Nov 19, 2004
  6. Plato

    Duane Arnold Guest

    What model Linksys router is this? This is strange that's for sure. You may
    want to supplement with a PFW solution on the machine. ;=)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Plato

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Weird. Up until you said it only happens on one I thought maybe there was
    some client side plugin/Active X control that was pulling the IP off of
    your machine. I just tried it on a few machines here on our test LAN
    (basically a bunch of Win 95/98/ME/2000/XP machines, a Mac with OS9 and a
    mac with OS X), and all of them reported our cisco router's public address,
    not the internal IPs. Odd stuff.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 20, 2004
  8. Plato

    Thagor Guest

    Tried it:
    http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp

    WInXP with a D-Link B-band router through a DSL modem here.
    It shows my IP everytime, whether I change it or not. What the hell, it
    even displays my stored clipboard data on the next test!

    Java is set in IE at High Safety.
    Active-X is set in IE for safe scripting and prompt.

    Could this be some sort of packet trap and sniff operation? I have
    limited knowledge in this area and have read the information on the site
    to no avail.

    Thagor, Nov 20, 2004
  9. Plato

    Plato Guest

    BEFSR41 4 port

    Plato, Nov 20, 2004
  10. Plato

    Plato Guest

    I've been searching/reading google and google groups and no joy either.
    Already tried setting router to defaults, etc.

    Plato, Nov 20, 2004
  11. Plato

    Jim Berwick Guest

    I tried it at home, and it showed my internal address. Disabled Java, and
    it didn't. Definitely some java applet they are running.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 21, 2004
  12. Plato

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I have Java applet running on IE and this test is not coming past the
    Watchguard showing an internal IP. It's only showing the public IP. I find
    this very strange because nither XP's IE or Firefox gave up the internal IP
    the machines were using. On the other hand, when I ran the test with
    Konqueror on the Linux box, it gave up the internal IP being used.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 21, 2004
  13. Plato

    Jim Berwick Guest

    I've tried with XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4, both using IE6 and Firefox
    1.0. The only browser I have on my linux box at home is Lynx, and it
    didn't give up anything. What version of the Java Runtime (if any) do you
    have installed?

    I did examine the traffic going through my router and I don't see any
    indication that the private IP is ever being sent back to the server, only
    that the Java applet is displaying it (thus I see no security risk). All
    the machines I've tested on are using the newest 1.5 Java runtime.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 21, 2004
  14. Plato

    Plato Guest

    I dont see any traffic problem either.

    Plato, Nov 21, 2004
  15. Plato

    Plato Guest

    If I'm not mistaken I believe they say they dont, and say take a look at
    their source, but of course that can be hidden/ also. Since I've
    disabled java on this box I dont see the same notices now on that page.
    I'm 'bout to take that link off my page as it seems
    to be somewhat dishonest.

    Plato, Nov 21, 2004
  16. Plato

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Well, IE security settings may allow the running of a Java Applet, but Java
    runtime is not installed on the XP machines as I typed *jview* at the
    Command Prompt and the command is not recognized. I guess that's why IE and
    Firefox are not giving up the information. I have learned something new
    today. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 21, 2004
  17. Plato

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Seems like they made a more clever version of the "We know your IP address
    and that you are surfing porn" gimmick. I could be lead to believe that a
    linksys router gives up your private IP. I could also be lead to believe
    that my linux based firewall coughs it up. When the site is telling me
    that those two "cheap" solutions and a very expensive cisco router sitting
    on the desk behind me is also doing it, I tend to think something fishy is
    going on. Like I said, also, I do not see my private IP being sent out
    when examining the traffic going through my home linux box/router, and it
    is most certainly /entirely/ dependant on Java being installed and enabled.

    I dunno if it is dishonest or just a scare tactic, but either way it isn't
    right.

    Jim Berwick, Nov 21, 2004
  18. Plato

    Thor Guest

    Just an FYI, that command only applies to MS's Java, not Sun's.
    Incidentally, if you have SP1 or SP2 then you should already have MS Java
    installed, since it comes with both of those packages. When you type in
    WJview, (or Jview) and IF you get something like "Java not found class not
    registered" then you do have MS Java installed, but something is wrong with
    it. Both "Jview" and Wjview" come with the MS Java VM software. I got that
    message once and it was because the installation was damaged in some way,
    and a website that I visited http://home.wanadoo.nl/jheroen/VM/check.htm
    that checks your Java installation version said it wasn't installed (yet I
    knew I had it). I reinstalled the latest MS Java VM (build 3810) and it now
    works fine. If you got something like "jview is not recognized as an
    internal or external command" etc. then the Jview command is indeed not
    there, and you may not have Java installed. But if you happend to be patched
    to SP1 or SP2, that would indeed be strange.

    Thor, Nov 21, 2004
  19. Plato

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Thanks for this information and the XP machines have SP2. I don't know
    what the deal is with this but I may download the Sun version of Java for
    XP and install it. I did read a MS article where MS is abandoning MSJVM.
    I guess that this is due to .Net.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 21, 2004
  20. Plato

    Plato Guest

    Remember that html code you put on your webpage, forgot what is is now,
    that when lets say you visit site xxxxx is says "I can see your c:
    drive" and yep, there's your C: drive in your browser. It's simply
    pulling it up locally. That's what I think is happening ie a trick.

    Plato, Nov 21, 2004