    between the real wires. I'd love to make some room in my system and
    let the air flow better. Looks like they would do it. I just found
    them on eBay. Thanks.

    rfdjr1, Feb 24, 2004

  2. rfdjr1

    ICee Guest

    Yes, I'm using them. It's not shielding, it's grounding that the extra
    40 wires provide. If anything, the round cables provide some shielding,
    since the wires are twisted.

    ICee, Feb 24, 2004

  3. rfdjr1

    br1ght Guest

    They are excellent.

    The only ones I don't like come with some mobo's. MSI
    for one ships with a ribbon cable that is crushed into
    a mesh tube so that they are round... not had any
    problems yet but we all know what happens to crushed
    cables?!?!

    br1ght, Feb 24, 2004
  4. I was under the impression the main pro to these cables was the airflow
    also. Since you're using them do you have any input on airflow / heat
    dispersal for your system?

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Feb 24, 2004
  5. rfdjr1

    br1ght Guest

    "BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ"
    I wouldn't say the above, they do increase airflow thru
    the case, but they also are much more flexible thus one
    could keep cd burner & reader on different IDE channels
    without having to space them apart (should they
    choose). They also make cases look tidy for those who
    have transparent panels and lighting.

    br1ght

    br1ght, Feb 24, 2004
  6. rfdjr1

    ICee Guest

    As "br1ght" mentioned, the main reason for them is that they look neater
    in a system with a clear side panel, but they are indeed more flexible
    than the ribbon cable, and the airflow in the case is enhanced.

    ICee, Feb 24, 2004
  7. rfdjr1

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Get a more efficient fan, or just simply get more fans.

    Brian H¹©, Feb 25, 2004
  8. Thanks for the info - I'll have to keep that info-nugget for later.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Feb 25, 2004
  9. rfdjr1

    ICee Guest

    You're welcome. Just another note regarding air flow, with the round
    cables in my system, the overall case temp went down 2° C, probably
    because the video card now gets more air directed at it from the front
    case fan, thus cooling it better.

    ICee, Feb 25, 2004
  10. rfdjr1

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ICee said:
    If you are interested in a better CPU heatsink and fan for an AMD, I highly
    recommend an Arctic Cooling, Copper Silent 2 (revision 2 noise reduced) unit.
    www.arctic-cooling.com if Maplins isn't a shop that you could find yourself
    mooching through.
    I fitted it in place of the other "highly recommended" units that I was sold
    with a smile from the salesman (er salesboy) and a guarantee that they were
    "perfect for the job".
    I managed to knock about 30 degs off the cpu temp, plus I have been able to
    place the sides back on the case.
    As for the HDD's, I took 2 of the blanking plates off the front of the case and
    am using a case fan to blow over them, with temps dropping from about 60 to
    below 30.

    Brian H¹©, Feb 25, 2004
  11. rfdjr1

    ICee Guest

    I have a good CPU heatsink, the Vantec Aeroflow with TMD fan. It's
    quiet and the CPU temp (XP1700+ @ 2200 MHz) maxes out at 48° C under
    full load running Prime95.
    There's a review of the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2 here:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles967/ and one of the silent version
    here:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles969/

    ICee, Feb 25, 2004
  12. rfdjr1

    ICee Guest

    Oops, the second review is for the P4 version.

    ICee, Feb 25, 2004
  13. rfdjr1

    Brian H¹© Guest

    ICee said:
    I can't find a link to the exact model I bought, so will just say what is on the
    side of the box
    Recommended CPU's
    AMD: all Athlon (Socket A)
    all Duron
    Athlon XP up to 3200+
    Heat Sink Dims 84 (l) x 76 (w) x 41 (h) mm
    Fan dims 81 (l) x 80 (w) x 26 (h) mm
    Overall dims 88 (l) x 82 (w) x 79 (h) mm
    Airflow important height 61 mm
    Fan Speed 2200 RPM
    Air Flow 28.5 CFM
    Noise Level 18 dB