    renames the pic, keeps both copies, puts them out of order, etc.) ....so, it's
    next to impossible to even rotate my pics so they aren't sideways ..........
    what has happened ????????

    Wdflannery, Aug 17, 2004

  2. Wdflannery

    Robertwgross Guest

    Let me take a wild guess. Did you upgrade Windows XP, perhaps with a Service
    Pack?

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Aug 17, 2004

  3. Wdflannery

    zuuum Guest

    I'd ditch the MS editor and downloadone of many freeware apps that provide
    for lossless jpg rotation. www.irfanview.com has a great freeware app for
    viewing and minimal editing (filters, resizing, rotation kind of tasks) but
    be sure to also install the plug-ins available on their download page.
    Lossless rotation will permanently convert the file to portrait aspect
    without causing a resave/re-compression.

    Did you install or upgrade any program that reassociated the filetype?

    zuuum, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Wdflannery

    Wdflannery Guest

    Let me take a wild guess. Did you upgrade Windows XP, perhaps with a Service
    Your wild guess is correct. Why would they take away that very useful feature
    ????????

    Wdflannery, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Wdflannery

    Wdflannery Guest

    I'm trying irfanview ..... and it seems to be another program that is
    problematical.....

    here's what I'd like to do .... and I'm sure everyone wants to do this .... you
    shoot `100 pics.... 50 need to be rotated.... I want to look at a page of
    thumbnails ..... hold the CNTL key and click on the ones I want to rotate ....
    then give one rotate command to rotate the bunch .....

    (I could do this with XP pre service pack)

    I can't seem to do it with irfanview..... I did use this program to rotate my
    pics but I had to do them one at a time and it took many keystrokes ...... is
    there an easier way ?????

    Also, irfanview loads the pics zoomed in.... if I can solve problem A I'd like
    to solve this one as well.

    Thanks ...

    W.

    Wdflannery, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Wdflannery

    Steven Wandy Guest

    Your wild guess is correct. Why would they take away that very useful
    It's got to be something else other than the Service Pack (currently SP2). I
    just updated WP with SP2 and I still have the option when right-clicking.
    HOWEVER it has been suggested that you don't use Windows Picture Viewer to
    rotate pictures. Windows is opening, rotating and RE-SAVING the JPEG image
    to do the rotation. The JPEG compression it uses is not the best and will
    degrade the quality of the images.

    Steven Wandy, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Wdflannery

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Don't know what the best software is to do what you want
    but I can solve this Irfanview problem. In Irfanview, click
    "View", then "Display options". You can then set the behavior
    to any of 8 different settings with respect to how it opens an
    image.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Aug 18, 2004
  8. Wdflannery

    Wdflannery Guest

    It's got to be something else other than the Service Pack (currently SP2)

    I installed SP 1 ... maybe SP 2 will bring it back ????
    It's too convenient to not use. The only alternatives I have thus far require
    lots of time, inconventience, and keystrokes. Surprising.

    Wdflannery, Aug 18, 2004
  9. Wdflannery

    Wdflannery Guest

    It's all good. Irfanview does let you 'batch' the rotates from the thumbnail
    view ..... and using the display options I was able to get the display in order

    Thanks to all.

    Wdflannery, Aug 18, 2004
  10. Wdflannery

    carver Guest

    Try Rota at : http://www.snapfiles.com/get/rota.html - simple little
    program for lossless jpeg rotation

    HTH
    Bill

    carver, Aug 18, 2004
  11. Steven,

    are you sure? I've heard exactly the opposite, but have not
    tested it myself.

    But then I normally use IrfanView.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 18, 2004
  12. Wdflannery

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I am highly suspicious of this story. First, because lossless rotation
    is a standard these days, and second because I have never seen this
    happen on my WinXP machine after displaying thousands of pictures, many
    with the internal display routines.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 18, 2004
  13. Ron,

    we can lay the matter to rest. I have now tested it.

    I opened two JPG picture files in the Windows Picture and Fax
    Display program, rotated them 90°, and resaved them under a
    different name.

    Both newly saved files were much bigger than the original ones,
    even if those had been stored with a fairly low JPG compression
    setting.

    This indicates to me that the pictures are resaved and thus lose
    quality. It also indicates that the Windows rotation feature
    uses very low JPG compression, so the loss is small.

    Still I would not use this feature, except if I want to reduce
    the picture to a lower resolution anyway, which Windows offers
    to do when you tell it to forward the picture by email.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 19, 2004
  14. Wdflannery

    Ron Hunter Guest

    The resaving of the picture is no guide. It need not have been
    recompressed, merely saved with a different method, and a lot of
    meta-data. Still, if I had need of rotating pictures, I would use the
    lossless rotation of the Irfanview plugin.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 19, 2004