    held in portrait orientation instead of landscape.

    Is it possible to rotate it 90°? What software do I need?

    Laurence

    Laurence Koster, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Laurence Koster

    Matalog Guest

    I did the same thing once. Didn't need the video so i just left it and
    didn't find out how to rotate it.

    Matalog, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Of course it will only save the file in Microsoft's proprietary .WMV
    format which is also about the least efficient format around.

    Grant Robertson, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Laurence Koster

    scott Guest

    Windows movie maker might do it, and it's free from microsoft (included with
    XP I think).

    scott, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Laurence,

    yes, it is possible. For AVI files or similar, VirtualDub has a
    filter to rotate a video. I've used that successfully.

    QuickTime can probably do it for MOV files, but if not, you can
    convert them to AVI and do it in VirtualDub.

    A lot of other video editing programs can probably do it too.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 11, 2004
  6. I know no commercial software package that performs this task,
    but it must be possible. In "Lucky Starr, Space Ranger"
    Isaac Asimov discussed a problem solving technique employing
    a ninety degree rotation.

    'Hope that helps.

    Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ

    Richard Ballard, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Laurence Koster

    Guest Guest

    quicktime player will do it.

    select movie properties, then from the menus in the dialogue, pick
    video, then size, and you can adjust the rotation.

    Guest, Jul 11, 2004
  8. -------

    Not true, WMM will also save as AVI which is not the most efficient format
    around from the standpoint of file size - but at least it is uncompressed
    and transportable.

    It is possible to convert wmv files to mpeg, as well, using free software
    like TMPGE. TMPGE may even allow rotate operation. I have not got it
    installed but there is an English language website at:
    http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

    As to the original question, I have XP Pro and WMM installed and don't think
    the WMM will rotate a video... the term "rotate" or variations of that word
    doesn't even search in the help file, however, I do know that ACDSee v6 will
    rotate video at least for screen view.

    High end software like Adobe Premier will accommodate a rotate and save
    operation. Probably some, or even all, of the others in the Pro class will
    as well.

    Journalist

    Journalist-North, Jul 11, 2004
  9. Laurence Koster

    Bob Guest

    It will save in any format, mpeg or AVI.

    And wmv is not a bad choice, even though I am not a fan of MS, it is actually a
    form of mpeg2 which is used on DVD, and is far superior to normal mpeg.

    I don't know if it can rotate though... I never tried!

    Bob, Jul 13, 2004
  10. I hesitate to say it (oh go on then) but some graphics cards allow you to
    rotate the whole screen

    It looks good on a widescreen laptop

    I know it doesn't classify as a wonderous perfect solution but it may
    provide a hasty workaround on a must-do basis

    Artie

    Arte Phacting, Jul 14, 2004
  11. Laurence Koster

    Ron Hunter Guest

    If I recall correctly, the 'Pro' version of Quicktime will do that.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 15, 2004