Root dir ownership and Sendmail DOS

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by uneoo, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. uneoo

    uneoo Guest

    9-Sep-2004

    Dear Friend,

    I am a security-novice linux administrator. I am seeking
    advice/opinion of certain incident on my server. It would
    appears that my root directory "/" ownership had suddently
    changed into become "world writable" (I am not certain
    this was caused by my own action). And the sendmail server
    is unable to receive any incoming messages (DOS results).
    Sendmail is running at program listing (ps x) all the
    time, just the incoming mails were not in. My server
    runs Linux kernel-2.4.18 (tarball compiled) with
    sendmail-8.11.2-14 (rpm installed).

    My question here is:

    1. Is it a correct interpretation that ownership change
    in my root directory "/" had case such sendmail DOS
    results ?

    2. Is this a sign of possible intrusion or anyother
    trojan/viruses.

    Please kindly share any such instance/knowledge directly
    to "","". Do not

    Regards, U Ne Oo.
    http://netipr.org/~uneoo/

    uneoo, Sep 9, 2004