Roam from Gprs network to Wifi network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by mcode, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. mcode

    mcode Guest

    Hi

    I need to implement a roaming configuration on a laptop computer
    (Windows 2000 SP4).

    The computer has 2 PCMCIA Cards :
    - A PCMCIA GPRS Card
    - A CISCO 802.11 Card

    There is a RAS GPRS connection that is configured on the Windows
    System.

    Now I want to add the WIFI card and implement an automatic roaming I
    mean :

    - When the WIFI network is available, automatically start the WIFI
    connection and stop the GPRS connection
    - When the GPRS network is available, automatically start the GPRS
    connection and stop the WIFI connection

    I know that I will have to parameter the metrics data for choosing the
    right network.

    Questions :
    - How to implement these functions ? Do I have to use the Wireless
    Zero Configuration APIs ? With WZC APIs can I define the 802.11
    parameters (SSID to connect to, authentication parameters, PEAP, EAP,
    WEP, WPA...) ?
    - How to define the metrics for choosing the right network ?
    - Can all this be implemented without programming ? If not, can this
    be implemented with Visual C++ 7 (.NET) ?

    Thank you for any information.

    mcode, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Hi,

    Microsoft only provides an 802.1X supplicant for Windows 2000 and does
    not provide a client for configuring 802.11 settings. From Windows XP
    Wireless Deployment Technology and Component Overview on
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/wificomp.mspx
    :

    "Windows 2000 SP4 includes support for PEAP and for the Smart Card or other
    Certificate Properties dialog box as previously described. However, because
    Windows 2000 SP4 does not include Wireless Auto Configuration, all
    configuration of wireless networks must be done using configuration tools
    provided by the wireless network adapter vendor."

    So, you will probably have to check with the vendors who provide your
    client for configuring GPRS & 802.11 settings.

    Best of luck,
    Chris Gual [MSFT]

    Chris Gual [MSFT], Mar 31, 2005

  3. mcode

    mcode Guest

    So for a Windows 2000 platform the only way is to access directly to
    the NDIS APIs.

    Another thing : I can't understand why my 802.11 card installer
    printed out "NDIS 1.2..." installed. Why didn't it install a NDIS 4/5
    ?

    I've also heard that some NDIS or WMI functions were bugged around
    802.11. I don't remember exactly which function but I know there's a
    registry fix.

    Thanks

    mcode, Apr 2, 2005
  4. mcode

    mcode Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;327194&x=9&y=13
    the web page mentionning the fix, but resolved in sp4

    the ndis version is the one for the card

    mcode, Apr 4, 2005