    I'd appreciate your help
    thanks
    jazu

    jazu, Sep 15, 2004

  2. jazu

    Bushwhacker Guest

    I'll be interested to see any answers on this. My impression (I've seen
    it only once) is that they're all pretty much identical.

    Bushwhacker, Sep 15, 2004

  3. jazu

    Bushwhacker Guest

    That's right. I had (fortunately) forgotten Flatley was originally with
    the production.

    Is "Lord of the Flies -- er, Dance" still running anywhere?

    Bushwhacker, Sep 15, 2004
  4. jazu

    imbsysop Guest

    anywhere ??? .. what about Brussels 11/12 oct .. :) :)

    imbsysop, Sep 15, 2004
  5. jazu

    Bushwhacker Guest

    Yes, Brussels qualifies as anywhere. My sympathy to the Belgians.

    Bushwhacker, Sep 15, 2004
  6. jazu

    imbsysop Guest

    thnx :)
    :) do you mean it is not worth its money ? :) (not exactly cheap either!)

    imbsysop, Sep 15, 2004
  7. jazu

    Paul Burke Guest

    I'd forget about Riverdance and buy her some Irish music. Your instincts
    are sounder than hers.

    Paul Burke

    Paul Burke, Sep 15, 2004
  8. The NY production changed it noticeably from the London production, not
    just by kicking Michael Flatley out on his narcissistic-diva hinder
    (where his absence has never been missed), but also by turning the
    second act into more of an "Old meets New" history of American tap...

    Those who still make the mistake of confusing "Riverdance" with
    (eeurgh!) "Lord of the Dance" might do well to go with the first NY
    production.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 15, 2004
  9. There will be a performance on the 28th at West Virginia University
    (Creative Arts Center, I presume).

    Edward

    Edward Curtis, Sep 15, 2004
  10. jazu

    imbsysop Guest

    ok thnx .. think I'll better try to make it to "The Dubliners" a
    couple of days earlier :) .. even if they're old ..!

    imbsysop, Sep 15, 2004
  11. What, LOTD?:
    Well, leaving aside the issue of the Flatmeister indulging his own
    all-vanity show after being kicked out of the "real" version--

    Apart from a passably good new-Celtic-y Ronan Hardiman score, the thing
    doesn't make one blamed lick o' sense for two hours...Buy the CD
    instead, and imagine a better show than you get.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Sep 15, 2004
  12. Yep, as a lover of Broadway musicals and Irish traditional music, I'm agag
    at the mixing of two absolutely disctinc and contradictory genres. What
    crap! (even if friends of mine have danced in it). Why not treat the wife
    to:

    PLANXTY AT VICAR STREET, FEBRUARY 2004 (DVD)

    or

    Ireland's Whistling Ambassador - Micho Russell

    or

    Dervish: Live at Johnny Fox

    Dervish: The Midsummer's Night Session

    From Shore to Shore ****

    (note: I've seen none of these! All but the Micho Russell is available
    from Philippe Varlet's www.celticgrooves.com site, the Russell video I
    found at www.ossianusa.com).

    Paul

    Paul Mitchell, Sep 15, 2004
  13. Yep. Trust me she wants the NY version.

    Reginald Dwight, Sep 15, 2004
  14. jazu

    Nic Caciappo Guest

    A few of these I have, the Dervish titles are only on VHS, but they are
    coming out with a DVD next year. The Planxty DVD is great. There is nothng
    wrong with Riverdance, the original. I respect it very much. It was the Las
    Vegas-like hype, massive popularity and the Broadway re-arrangement that of
    it that seemed to turn people off. So what, it was a unique show and I loved
    it. Great music with great musicians like Davy Spillane and Martin
    O'Connnor, and composed by Bill Whelan who has worked with Planxty, Patrick
    Street and Moving Hearts. People should just get off of it. Unfortunately
    the original show is not on DVD, at least in the USA, but still seek out the
    VHS. The DVD of "Riverdance from NYC Radio Music Hall" is still worth having
    though, but that's the only one, not any of the later updated versions.

    NC

    Nic Caciappo, Sep 16, 2004