RipV2 & Subnets

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by xlr8, Jun 4, 2005.

  1. xlr8

    xlr8 Guest

    Hi group,

    Got a something that I don't fully understand, hope someone can help me out.

    I've got a VLAN with the address range (10.10.10.x) configured on a
    Layer 3 switch. The switch is doing all the inter-vlan routing and it
    works great however when I want to publish the connected networks via
    Rip V2 to the rest of the network I run into issues.

    I'm trying to publish the connected routes out a interface on vlan 1
    that has the following ip address 192.168.1.x/22. No rip packets are
    sent to the Vlan 1 network.

    Example config snippet:

    ip classless
    !
    interface vlan 10
    ip address 10.10.10.x 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface vlan 1
    ip address 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.252
    !
    router rip
    Version 2
    redistribute-connected
    network 192.168.1.0
    !

    However as soon as I change the subnet mask to 24 bits or add the
    following line to the Vlan 1 interface it works:
    ip address 192.168.1.xx 255.255.255.0 secondary

    This is the part I don't understand, why is Rip being sent out a
    interface with a 24 bit subnet mask and not a 22. I would have thought
    the ip classless command would have enabled this to work.

    A bit stumped on this one, hope someone can enlighten me.

    Thanks in advance.

    xlr8, Jun 4, 2005

  2. xlr8

    xlr8 Guest

    I've investigated further and from what I've read the network statement
    under the router rip section appears to be class based despite RIP v2
    support VLSM and the ip classless command.

    If so how can I make it advertise routes onto a network with a 22 bit
    subnet mask?

    xlr8, Jun 5, 2005

  3. xlr8

    Hansang Bae Guest

    VLSM and the "ip classless" command don't really have much to do with
    other (not in the sense that most people think of it anyway.

    The network statement ONLY tells the router to run RIPV2 on the
    interfaces that fall into the (or match) the network statement. That's
    all there is to it.

    Also, you don't need to "redistribute connected" if you're running a
    routing protocol that matches the interface already.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jun 8, 2005