  1. Owl Jolson

    Owl Jolson Guest

    She's finally gone to the great shower in the sky.

    Owl Jolson, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Owl Jolson

    Nikki Dial Guest

    At least she'll be clean when she turns up there.

    Nikki Dial, Oct 4, 2004

  3. Owl Jolson

    idlethinker Guest

    The radio stations I listened to this morning failed to mention
    Janet's name. Instead they called her the "girl in the shower", as if
    this generation wouldn't know who "Janet Leigh" was. I could only
    shake my head in frustration and sadness...

    -idlethinker
    www.wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

    idlethinker, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Are you nuts!? "Frustration and Sadness"? She was not some powerhouse of
    an actress and, in terms of popularity, she never enjoyed any measure of
    success comparable to what "Psycho" brought her. After "Psycho" what did
    she do of note besides a couple of movies where her presence had little
    impact?

    I'm not trying to disrespect Ms. Leigh but what makes you think this
    generation should know who she is, outside of Hitchcock fans or film
    buffs?

    Urra Dipschitt, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Owl Jolson

    idlethinker Guest

    The frustrating thing is that the radio didn't even mention her name.
    If I was in one of the most (if not *the* most) famous scene in cinema
    history, I'd want to be mentioned by name when I died.

    -idlethinker
    wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

    idlethinker, Oct 9, 2004
  6. So then you probably know the name of the actress who was in the "mask
    reveal" scene in the Lon Chaney "Phantom of the Opera", right? No
    cheating at imdb.com!!! :)

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 9, 2004
  7. Owl Jolson

    idlethinker Guest

    Ahh....we're reaching deep into the "way back" machine to prove a
    point, eh? To quote Jules, "Well, let me retort."

    I freely admit that I simply don't know the name of the actress that
    you've mentioned. That doesn't mean that if TPotO what's-her-face
    dies (I'm sure she's long departed from this mortal coil) and the
    radio reports her death, they should at least tell us her name and
    refer to her simply as "the mask lady". IMHO that's cheap and
    degrading.

    Imagine for a moment that you, Reginald Dwight, dropped dead
    tomorrow. How would you like your obituary to read: "Today, the guy
    who tried to make a point on usenet died today."? That's simply not
    being fair to whatever goals you've achieved in life, dreams you made
    real and memories that will live forever in those that you touched.
    Savy?

    I will concede that Claude Rains was a bigger draw than Janet Leigh,
    but please give the woman enough credit and mention her name if you
    report her death via the mass media.

    -idlethinker
    wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

    Oh..and P.S. I don't think you can equate the unmasking scene in
    TPotO with the shower scene from Psycho. How many modern references
    to your "key" TPotO scene show up today, compared to references to the
    shower scene from Psycho? I have no numbers to claim or reports to
    site, but I feel that Psycho has had more of an emotional impact and
    continues to influence modern cinema.

    ...now if you'll excuse me, I have to go visit imdb.com...

    idlethinker, Oct 10, 2004
  8. Owl Jolson

    idlethinker Guest

    Ahh....we're reaching deep into the "way back" machine to prove a
    point, eh? To quote Jules, "Well, let me retort."

    I freely admit that I simply don't know the name of the actress that
    you've mentioned. That doesn't mean that if TPotO what's-her-face
    dies (which I'm sure she long since has) and the radio reports her
    death, they should at least tell us her name and not refer to her
    simply as "the mask lady". IMHO that's cheap, degrading and
    unprofessional.

    Imagine for a moment that you, Reginald Dwight, dropped dead
    tomorrow. How would you like your obituary to read: "Today, the guy
    who tried to make a point on usenet died."? That's simply not being

    idlethinker, Oct 10, 2004
  9. Yes, it is. But you have to admit you can see why it happens. BTW, you
    never mentioned which media outlet did this deed. I saw nothing of the
    sort happen on any major media outlets that I saw report it. Lemme
    guess...it was a rock or pop radio station, right? :)
    I think the key word in the above sentence is "today". TPotO will lose
    any battle against Psycho in terms of modern references thanks in part
    to their respective places in history. Still, I think you can equate the
    two scenes in terms of how they went down in their *own day* and you can
    definitely equate them in terms of the fact that people (you included)
    will ultimately forget the name of the female leads in the scenes.

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 10, 2004
  10. Owl Jolson

    idlethinker Guest

    You would be correct, sir. I can see why this sort of thing could
    happen on a low-brow pop station, but it's still wrong.
    Too true. Of course with the short attention span of people in
    general, it only reinforces the need to associate the name of the
    person with their deeds. Without a point of reference, what's the
    point of even mentioning their death?

    Ah well...good topic!

    -idlethinker
    wizardneedsfoodbadly.com

    ...oh, and it's Christine Dubois, no?
    I'll be sure to get that answer right the next time it pops up in
    Trivial Pursuit :)

    idlethinker, Oct 11, 2004
  11. Christine was the character's name - Mary Philbin was the actress.

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 11, 2004