    extender in awkward house designs?

    I appreciate the sockets must be on the same ring main..

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Geoff Lane

    recursor Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/5a7fp This devolo kit does ethernet over mains but it works out at £90 a plug
    so it aint cheap. Works well though I'm told..

    recursor, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Trouble is at 90ukp it is prohibitively expensive, I only looked at
    the other one as it was a known make at an affordable price.

    Makes me wonder, why don't they make a mains network device that is
    able to carry ethernet, phone and TV aerial, now I'd pay a wee bit
    more for that.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Geoff Lane

    recursor Guest

    This technology is quite new, they had some pretty difficult problems to overcome, (street lights
    broadcasting network traffic). Wait a while and it will probably be much cheaper, (maybe ebuyer will
    start selling it).:)

    recursor, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Geoff Lane

    Christo Guest

    how quick is it?

    seen as how it travels along the mains, whats the bandwidth of the mains? i
    know at the end of the day it will be limited to the speed of the usb ports
    so there isnt gonna be any gigabit speeds but hows about 100mbps?

    Christo, Dec 11, 2004
  6. Geoff Lane

    Dave MacRae Guest

    I've just bought a air of these and was surprised to see that they did
    exactly what they were supposed to do. Pluged one in, connected it to a
    hub, plugged the other one in and connected it to my laptop, connection
    there.

    No idea how these work as both are on seperate rings that are, AFAIA,
    onlt connected via the fuse box. Both of these rings are pretty new, I
    haven't tried it on the older ring mains in the house yet.

    Oh, and the leaflet taht came with them sugegsted that there is a
    version that you can connect your stero to one end and a pair of
    speakers to the other.

    Dave MacRae, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Geoff Lane

    recursor Guest

    Interesting, I had heard they were good, I suppose you could run a mains extension lead down the
    garden and work outside in the summer on a proper hard wired ethernet. Do you think you're getting
    something like normal 100 mbit performance with them ?

    recursor, Dec 11, 2004
  8. Geoff Lane

    Dave MacRae Guest

    The recommendation is that theyare plugged directly to the wall socket
    so an extension lead is out. You could just run a length of Cat 5
    instead of the extension though.

    The rarted speed is 10-14Mbps giving a true rate of about 6 one way. I
    copied a big file and was gettin speeds of about that so I'm happy.

    Dave MacRae, Dec 11, 2004
  9. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    It must connect somehow otherwise they would not see each other,
    wonder if a neighbour culd be on the same wiring circuit or does it
    stop at the meter?
    I'm a wee bit confused as to your reference to ethernet - the ones I
    saw were USB connections so is intended as a peer to peer, one report
    I read suggested it does not easily become part of any other network.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I didn't think there was an ethernet socket on the PC World (Packard
    Bell) device otherwise they would offer very good flexibility.

    The ethernet versions I've seen are still quite expensive, over
    100ukp.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Geoff Lane

    recursor Guest

    The sockets I provided a link to ARE ethernet over mains adapters. They are the ones that Dave
    MacRae purchased (and likes). There are cheaper products that do usb over mains but they are not as
    flexible.

    recursor, Dec 12, 2004
  12. Geoff Lane

    Dave MacRae Guest

    I bought the ethernet version. Cost about £90 from nickknows.com.

    Dave MacRae, Dec 12, 2004
  13. Geoff Lane

    Dave MacRae Guest

    Correct. I'm planning to use mine for my X-box and my Tivo in the New
    Year. Not something I could easily do with USB.

    Dave MacRae, Dec 12, 2004
  14. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I assume that is a different make and not Packard Bell.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 12, 2004
  15. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Don't understand the theory too much but wouldn't have thought there
    would be too much difference between sending a USB signal or ethernet
    signal along the ring main. Perhaps there is, I don't know.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 12, 2004
  16. Geoff Lane

    recursor Guest

    I'll try and keep this short, usb was designed to attach devices to computers, ethernet was designed
    to allow computers to talk to each other. Both types of signal can de "ringmained" but ethernet
    gives you much better (network) functionality.(since it was designed to)
    HTH

    recursor, Dec 12, 2004
  17. Geoff Lane

    Dave MacRae Guest

    Oh yes. It's Devolo.

    Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead buying anything made by Packard
    Hell.

    Dave MacRae, Dec 12, 2004
  18. Geoff Lane

    Dave MacRae Guest

    I assume it's just a signal. There si probaly no difference between the
    signal sent by the USB device and the Ethernet device. I just choose the
    Ethernet device as it's far more versatile than USB.

    Dave MacRae, Dec 12, 2004
  19. Geoff Lane

    John Burke Guest

    Dave MacRae wrote
    From my own recent newbie experience of networking (not mains related) I'd
    suggest that you keep an open mind here?

    You might find that both brands are marketing the same item but with a
    different badge.

    I think the test is, if both brands use the same driver.

    Very interesting question though, if ring main enabled LAN traffic can't
    leak to a neighbour.

    JB

    John Burke, Dec 12, 2004
  20. Geoff Lane

    Dave MacRae Guest

    Maybe same chip set but (possibly) differen build quality.
    All the devices that I researched stated that the meter was effectively
    a total firewal. No leackage to neighbour. For the paranoid it is
    possible to change the encryption key that the devices use.

    Dave MacRae, Dec 12, 2004