    Is there a way to save an image as a bmp or even a TIF in Firefox?

    TIA for any steers.

    Lawr

    Lawr, Jul 25, 2004

  2. Lawr

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Could it be that the image you're trying to save was actually posted on
    WWW as a jpg (like most WWW images)?

    To test this, I created the following page:
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/z-test.html>

    The first picture is a jpg, the second is a bmp. If I right click on
    either image in FF 0.9.2 and choose Save Image As, the only choice I am
    given is to save in the same format as the picture was actually posted
    on WWW.

    So if the picture starts off as a jpg, what have you got to lose by
    saving it as a jpg rather than a memory-gobbling bmp?

    Danny Colyer, Jul 25, 2004

  3. Lawr

    .BRIAN. Guest

    I agree that it's odd to save a jpg as a bmp. That is just my opinion
    however, and perhaps the OP has a reason for saving a small jpg as a
    large bmp.

    Regardless, IE does allow you to choose whether you want to save the
    original file (be it a jpg, gif, etc.) as a bmp instead. When you right
    click "save image as" bmp is an option in the drop-down box. Doing so
    saves your 16 KB test jpg as a wonderful 296 KB bmp.

    .BRIAN., Jul 25, 2004
  4. Lawr

    Lawr Guest

    Thanks both. The test images work as you say Danny in both FF and K-
    Meleon so you may be right about using the posted file type. But as
    Brian says IE gives you both options. In fact even the test images
    allows the left image to be saved as either but the right image goes
    only for BMP in IE.
    What I was interested in was saving as much info as possible. If it's
    jpg it's already compressed and saving as jpg again is likely to
    compress again. Saving the jpg as a bmp is supposed to retain the info
    and give you a better chance to play with it later.

    Lawr

    Lawr, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Lawr

    Michael C. Guest

    It doesn't create a new jpg, it only COPIES the one from the server.
    You don't lose anything.

    HTH,

    Michael C.

    Michael C., Jul 26, 2004