Right-clicking folder in explorer reboots always

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jdismyfriend, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. jdismyfriend

    jdismyfriend Guest

    Hi everyone!

    Just thought I'd post a question that has me stumped. I set up an xp
    2200+ system for a friend with WindowsXP. No problems really happened
    for a year. Now, when going into explorer, if I right-click on any
    folder or file, the system reboots completely like I just hit the reset
    button. AVG, Norton, and others haven't found any viruses, spybot and
    ad-aware say nothing's there aside from cookies, etc. Just confused
    and frustrated at this problem, hoping someone can help.

    Specs:

    MB: Asus A7V400-MX
    CPU: AthlonXP 2200+
    RAM: 256MB PC2100 266mhz DDR
    (192MB available due to shared video)
    VIDEO: On Board - 64MB Shared
    AUDIO: On Board
    OS: WindowsXP Home Edition

    Thanks in advance, you guys are great!

    Justin

    jdismyfriend, Jul 19, 2005

  2. jdismyfriend

    Unk Guest

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category and look
    through each of the three sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
    of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an error record to see the details
    of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced

    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button to open the Startup and
    Recovery window. In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart", Click "Apply",
    "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system failure occurs. Instead it
    will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of Death" with a STOP error message and then halt
    completely, requiring a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch).

    But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue as to the underlying cause
    of the problem.

    It sounds like you have a corrupt entry in the right-click context settings.

    Unk, Jul 19, 2005

  3. jdismyfriend

    Pennywise Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hi everyone!
    |>
    |>Just thought I'd post a question that has me stumped. I set up an xp
    |>2200+ system for a friend with WindowsXP. No problems really happened
    |>for a year. Now, when going into explorer, if I right-click on any
    |>folder or file, the system reboots completely like I just hit the reset
    |>button. AVG, Norton, and others haven't found any viruses, spybot and
    |>ad-aware say nothing's there aside from cookies, etc. Just confused
    |>and frustrated at this problem, hoping someone can help.

    First,
    Right click "My Computer", Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery
    Disable Auto restart.

    Then Run (WinKey+R) drwtsn32.exe
    and see what's causing the problem.

    The event viewer (eventvwr.exe) might be of some help.

    Pennywise, Jul 19, 2005
  4. jdismyfriend

    jdismyfriend Guest

    Thanks for the incedibly fast response time!! Will let you know how it
    goes after work!

    jdismyfriend, Jul 19, 2005
  5. jdismyfriend

    Pennywise Guest

    wrote:

    |>First,
    |>Right click "My Computer", Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery
    |>Disable Auto restart.

    ah, I forgot you can't right click :))

    To get to the properties screen
    Run (WinKey+R) sysdm.cpl <enter>

    Pennywise, Jul 19, 2005
  6. jdismyfriend

    fred-bloggs Guest

    wrote in @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    SP2?
    Try turning off Data Execution Prevention for non-Windows programs.
    System Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings>Data Execution Prevention

    Do you have Dr.Divx installed?

    fred-bloggs, Jul 19, 2005
  7. You are welcome

    nevillenevillesonsnr, Jul 19, 2005
  8. jdismyfriend

    jdismyfriend Guest

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: System Error
    Event Category: (102)
    Event ID: 1003
    Date: 7/19/2005
    Time: 2:18:39 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 f950f5d4,
    parameter3 f3a9c374, parameter4 00000000.

    Data:
    0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
    0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
    0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
    0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 38 1000008
    0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param
    0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 30 eters c0
    0030: 30 30 30 30 30 35 2c 20 000005,
    0038: 66 39 35 30 66 35 64 34 f950f5d4
    0040: 2c 20 66 33 61 39 63 33 , f3a9c3
    0048: 37 34 2c 20 30 30 30 30 74, 0000
    0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

    jdismyfriend, Jul 20, 2005
  9. jdismyfriend

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Okay, now take that error code 1000008e, and search for it at
    support.microsoft.com.

    Results 1-3

    ..BUG: "Method '~' of Object '~' Failed. (ErrorCode=8000ffff)" Error Message
    When You Create a Web Project
    (315421) - When you use the Web Project Wizard to create a new Web project
    in Visual InterDev 6.0 Service Pack 5 with a user account that contains
    Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (CJK) characters, you may receive the
    following error message: Method '~' of...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315421

    ..Error Message: The System Has Recovered from a Serious Problem
    (316424) - After you upgrade your operating system from Microsoft Windows
    Millennium Edition (Me) to Windows XP, you may receive an error message
    similar to the following: The system has recovered from a serious problem. A
    log of this error has been created....
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316424

    ..The HaxDoor virus may cause a "STOP 0x00000050" or "STOP 0x0000008e" error
    message
    (903251) - Explains that the HaxDoor virus may generate a Stop error message
    or restart your computer in Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows
    XP. You can manually remove the variant of the HaxDoor virus to resolve this
    issue.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;903251

    See if any of those help.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 20, 2005