    this is about and what is causing it, any ideas?? I would greatly
    appreciate the help. Currently running windows XP.

    Thanks

    QueenZulu, Sep 30, 2004

  2. QueenZulu

    Jamco Guest

    ~ is put there my outlook express

    Jamco, Sep 30, 2004

  3. QueenZulu

    Avenger© Guest

    I think you'll find it's Word making an auto backup of the document,
    which (from memory) is deleted when you save/close the document.

    Avenger©, Sep 30, 2004
  4. QueenZulu

    Dalgibbard Guest

    Not 100% but arent these the temp files MS word makes incase of a program
    failure so that it can restore the lost document?
    I cant remember lol

    Dalgibbard.

    Dalgibbard, Sep 30, 2004
  5. QueenZulu

    °Mike° Guest

    Files beginning with a tilde (~) are almost always
    temporary working files. A file with a simple tilde
    name is usually a copy of your address book, and
    should be safe to delete.

    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2004
  6. QueenZulu

    Plato Guest

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#10

    Plato, Oct 1, 2004
  7. QueenZulu

    ~Joanne420~ Guest

    I see that when I have that file open, when I save and close the file, it's
    gone. It is like a "working back up" or "temp" file.When you save, close,
    then go back it will only show the final save.

    ~Joanne420~, Oct 1, 2004
  8. QueenZulu

    QueenZulu Guest

    I am still not sure why mine won't go away. I can delet them but they
    return. Also it makes an icon on my desktop simply labled ~ On the
    files it copies it puts the ~ infront then then changes the first half
    of the actual saved documents name to random symbols. So in my files I
    have one document with the correct title and one with the symbols
    (which doesn't go away). So do I need to open the symbols one and save
    for it to go away permantely? I am just tired of them taking up so
    much space.
    Thanks again.

    QueenZulu, Oct 1, 2004