    Does mixing equal amounts of RGB give black?

    Thanks,

    Conrad

    Conrad, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Conrad

    Crash Gordon Guest

    If the equal amount is 0 yes...otherwise no.

    Crash Gordon, Feb 1, 2006

  3. Conrad

    wilt Guest

    There are two sets of color 'systems', one which is 'additive' and the
    other which is 'subtractive'.

    RGB is additive, so in any scaling system (e.g 0-256) the highest level
    of each color results in white.

    CYM is subtractive...putting in the highest value of a specific color
    results in the lowest level of its color complement. Printing color
    neg uses CYM filters in the enlarger, and now CYM with K is used for
    most home inkjet photo printers

    wilt, Feb 1, 2006
  4. If you're talking pigmented paints, actually mixing them gives an ugly
    brown, usually (depends on the purity of the pigments).

    But normally RGB is used for light-emitting devices like screens, and
    in that context mixing RGB gives *white*.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 1, 2006
  5. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Thank you David and Wilt for helping with my better understanding of
    color. Much appreciated.

    Best,

    Conrad

    Conrad, Feb 2, 2006