Review: Titan Robela Water Case (TWC-A88/BS)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by unholy, Sep 26, 2005.

1. unholy

XhArD

Modfather said something about how one of their admins tried to steal his Chopper PC idea. Then when Modfather wrote something about it on one of his sites, the admin from CMG complained to his webhost and got the site taken down. I'd just make about a hundred sites that all say how gay that guy is :p

XhArD, Oct 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. unholy

unholy

same. i would lend him the stick, but it would costs like 50 weeks pay to ship it :|

unholy, Oct 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. unholy

The Modfather

Hahahaha... I don't get paid by the week, I get paid by the build. :) But I told ya, I've got an even bigger stick. :)
    Yeah, that was a poke at CMG, it wasn't meant to be nice in any way. I'd never do that anymore. And I don't mean to say anything bad about a lot of the people who are regulars there, some of them are master modders with insane skills. But the guys in question are mostly the owner and one of his admins, both of 'em are twits. The guy who tried to do a ripoff of the chopper, he takes a metal chain and welds it into the shape of a bike frame, then throws together a terribly welded tank on that, slaps on some ugly red plastic bottle (I guess that was his version of a NoS tank, looked like a Mt. Dew Code Red bottle to me), spray paints it some ugly color and calls it a mod. The owner, his latest build was to take a mannequin and gut it, make it look like a Cennobite from the Hellraizer series and call it a mod. It looks neat to a degree but it's not something I can imagine anyone but a 13 year old wanting to put in their bedroom next to their posters of Britney Spears or something. No class. :)

The Modfather, Oct 7, 2005
  4. unholy

unholy

" Britney Spears " nah mate... shes gone.... theres others now :p
    hehe i thought that Case mod he did was stupid. i was reading it he just seemed to be showing off the whole article.

unholy, Oct 7, 2005
  5. unholy

XhArD

anyone have a link? I want to see what it's like.

XhArD, Oct 7, 2005
  6. unholy

The Modfather

casemodgod.com <-not hard to miss it, it's splattered all over the site.
    Like I said, it's not BAD, I mean, it took some work to do that, but I don't see it as...
    A. Practical.
    B. Useful.
    C. Attractive.
    D. Worth the effort.
    Of course, if it were for his own use, made with his own parts and money, sure. I could give him mad props for the hard work. But this dipshit has sponsorship from companies to make his mods. What's the point of it, really? What does it show except that he's got some skill and can put a PC in a mannequin? Al puts a PC in a printer, that's neat, it has some practicality, it's functional, it can sit on a desk and look neat and be useful and make people go "hey, neat idea" but what do you do with a mannequin torso? Stick it in a department store window? <Shrug>

The Modfather, Oct 7, 2005
  7. unholy

unholy

8. unholy

XhArD

yeah, thanks Unholy. That was actually the link i was looking for, not the CMG home :p I'll have a look now.

XhArD, Oct 7, 2005
  9. unholy

unholy

hehe Al's mods are way better... i like how he has two computers in one printer :D..

unholy, Oct 7, 2005
  10. unholy

XhArD

I thought the Mannequin Mod looked pretty cool.... until page 3, at which point I decided it was pretty crappy looking. :|

XhArD, Oct 7, 2005
  11. unholy

unholy

"yah i am so cool i have a Mannequin which is a computer... i dress it up" :p

unholy, Oct 7, 2005
  12. unholy

bigal

I've never seen....

...such good documentation. They far surpase my efforts, both in design and documentation. At least, that Hellraiser one does! :bandit:

bigal, Oct 8, 2005
  13. unholy

The Modfather

Don't be too sure about that Al. did you have corporate sponsorship and backing for your work? He did. If you had the backing you'd be able to do a lot more too. Also, it's not like what he did took a lot of imagination. One guy did a very cool Hellraizer mod long before that one, he made the box, it looked very cool and also was something you wouldn't be ashamed to put on your desktop. All that Cenobite mod is, is a "stuff some crappy hardware in something different" mod. I don't consider that kind of work worthy of notice. I'm impressed when someone takes something that has potential to be better and redoes it in an original way. Stuffing cheap components into a mannequin (or toaster or go kart or whatever) doesn't take a lot of skill or creativity. What he made there was already made before hand for the most part. He bought a mannequin, bought all the parts and just smooshed 'em together into that shape. It's not like he crafted anything with his own hands there.
    I'm more impressed if I see a hand painted case that's got little in the way of gadgetry, it at least shows some talent. Or a case that makes use of metal, plastic and other forms of fabrication. Something that's unique but it's still a computer.
    It's kinda like this. You'd pay money to see the work of someone like Chip Foose or Jesse James or Orange County Choppers. They build cars and bikes and they look, surprisingly, like cars and bikes. Now, would you pay to see the Oscar Mayer Weinermobile? A car that looks like a hot dog? I didn't think so.
    I approach computer modding the same way a great car or bike builder approaches what they do. It's a computer, it's not a freakin' doll or something. Like the one guy who stuffed a computer in some oversized anime doll thing, that was just stupid. And some of the recent "Rigs of the month" in the magazines have been pretty sad too. One guy stuffs a computer in a trashcan and wins $1500, another guy builds a computer into a HumVee and wins $1500. What's up with that? Does it take any creativity to snatch up a Mini ITX board and throw it into .. well ... just about anything? I mean, if I toss a mobo into a toilet, am I creative? I don't think so. But someone's gonna do that mod and win a prize for it, you watch.

The Modfather, Oct 8, 2005
  14. unholy

XhArD

Haven't the japanese already invented a toilet-computer? :| I remember seeing some news articel about it, lol.

XhArD, Oct 8, 2005
  15. unholy

The Modfather

Actually yeah... That's true, it's a urinal computer, you pee to play video games on it. (No joke, totally serious here).

16. unholy

XhArD

I was actually thinking of the one where they have a computer thing mounted on a little swivel tray... Unless it's the same thing? And it doesn't really surprise me, there's some pretty wacky inventions come from there.

XhArD, Oct 8, 2005
  17. unholy

The Modfather

Dunno about that one, this is one where you pee into this urinal and aim and it's a videogame, pretty sick stuff.

18. unholy

bigal

Corporate sponsorship?

No corporation would support my habit of building computers.  They couldn't afford to!  I wish I could get Sun to sponsor me though.  I like their products, and when I can get them for free, I really enjoy modding them into something more useful in today's world.
    Anyway, I guess I'll scrap my ideas for inflatable doll computers, toaster-oven computers, and dishwasher computers.  That leaves me with modding my old Osborne Executive computer.
    See this link:  http://www.old-computers.com/forum/frameset.asp , look for the topic " Anybody own an Osborne Computer?" in the Old laptop & pocket computers section of the forums.

bigal, Oct 8, 2005
  19. unholy

unholy

unholy, Oct 9, 2005
  20. unholy

The Modfather

Here's a list of my "Old Computers". Not sure where some of them are but most of 'em are probably at my dad's place.
    Altair 8800 (With the SOL)
    DEC's...PDP-10, PDP-11
    TRS-80 Model's 1 2 and 3
    Commodore Pet 4032
    Atari 400/800/800xl/130xe/520st/1040st/Mega2/Mega4
    (Atari Related): ATR8000, ApeFace, Happy Drives, Doublers, etc etc... Name it, for the Atari's we've got it.
    IBM PCjr, PC/XT, PC/AT (Several of all of those)
    Compaq Deskpro 286, 386, 486
    Multiple flavors of other PC's, I couldn't begin to name them all.
    Sun Sparcstations (Mostly pizza boxes, a few 6 packs)
    A few Sinclares
    Who knows what else... Lots of old stuff.
    But, no Osbornes (Aren't they British?)

The Modfather, Oct 9, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question