Review: Antec VCool Slot Cooler

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by unholy, Sep 26, 2005.

1. unholy

unholy

i wasn't trying to speak yoda.

unholy, Nov 9, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. unholy

The Modfather

You were, yes, saw it I did, terrible it was. Bad at this you are. Stop typing you should.

The Modfather, Nov 9, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. unholy

unholy

done, and done!

unholy, Nov 10, 2005
  4. unholy

bigal

Hey, this Antec Slot cooler suddenly got a whole lot louder tonight. I was working at the computer when I heard a "clunk", and then a fairly loud fan noise was left. It took me a few minutes to figure out where the noise was coming from, but this device is the source of my problems. I wonder what happened to the motor. It's been running about every other day since I completed this review.

bigal, Apr 4, 2006
  5. unholy

unholy

whats the life of it? and how long havew u been running it for? that would answer ur question :p

unholy, Apr 4, 2006
  6. unholy

The Modfather

Look at the first post in this thread, that should give you an approximate answer to that question. Certanily not long enough that it should be out of warranty. I'd send it back and tell them it's acting up. As a reviewer they'll probably want to make sure you're happy with the products.

The Modfather, Apr 4, 2006
  7. unholy

bigal

I don't think you can return a product for warranty repair that you received for free. There is no sales receipt to establish the start of a warranty period. Besides, I'm not really concerned with getting a replacement into the case - I'm fine without it. The Antec blower was only helping out an old 9600 Pro videocard, which isn't overclocked or pushed to any limits.

Next week I might just take the unit apart to figure out what happened. I bet something broke within the motor - maybe a sleeve bearing or something of this nature.

bigal, Apr 4, 2006
  8. unholy

unholy

You should have a Invoice, they never send a sample out without an invoice (product value usally 2 bucks or something). As for the warranty i probably wouldn't bother unless u were physically needing it fixed, eg u were using a PSU and it died (look at me i should have recieved a 3rd on but i dont want another if 2 die!!).

unholy, Apr 5, 2006
  9. unholy

bigal

Trust me, I'm not sending this back for repair. It will be more fun to take it apart and figure out what went wrong. The scientific community is waiting anxiously for Nathan to pass on, so they can take him apart and figure out what went wrong too..... :)

bigal, Apr 5, 2006
  10. unholy

XhArD

What went wrong? Oh, we already know that. Hasn't he told you the story of how he nearly died from pneumonia or whatever in grade 3 or 4? Well, they tested this new drug on him in the hospital, and it kinda melts your brain, like long usage of crack/cocaine can. :p

XhArD, Apr 5, 2006
  11. unholy

bigal

Here's what went wrong. The noise I heard was plastic cracking. The rumble after that was a fan assembly out of balance. See for yourself:

[​IMG][​IMG]

bigal, Apr 6, 2006
  12. unholy

unholy

Even worse then i thought :|, thats bad production not dead motor...

unholy, Apr 6, 2006
  13. unholy

bigal

Maybe Silverstrand has a way to contact the folks that sent this to us for a review. I don't seem to have any saved e-mails on this one, which goes back to September 2005.

bigal, Apr 6, 2006
  14. unholy

The Modfather

Looks like a structure stress crack, probably existed from the plastic when it was moulded in that shape and just reached the point of stress that cracked it from the vibration of the fan. When all else fails... DUCT TAPE! :)

The Modfather, Apr 7, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question