    lens.

    regards
    Don

    Guest, Jul 24, 2007

  2. Guest

    Alex Monro Guest

    The Olympus C-740 is a fixed lens ultrazoom camera, so there's no way
    you could remove the lens to fit your old Minolta lenses. I believe
    that there were originally wide, tele & macro conversion lenses that
    screw on to the filter adapter, but since the camera design is 4 years
    old, they may be hard to find now.

    You might be able to use Minolta SLR lenses on the Sony Alpha DSLR.

    Alex Monro, Jul 24, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    tks Alex,
    what triggered all this thinking on this subject is that we are bird
    watchers and it would be nice to occasionally couple this 740 to a
    telescope or binnocular to get a better picture of a bird out there.
    To do that requires some kind of coupler that must have some kind of
    lens in it to compensate so the image size is reasonable when veiwed
    thru the scope. Then I realized I had this old minolta zoom lens and
    I got to thinking maybe I could somehow use it in a similar manner.
    So even if this coupler created a slightly unwieldly and not
    altogether optically perfect solution it would at least be good enough
    to capture a recognizable bird image. So part of the question I was
    trying to answer was just what kind of lens do they put into those
    screw in adapters. From what you are saying about the 740 its
    particular lens implementation may not easily lend itself to do
    something like this. Too bad, I really do like this camera.

    I once was in to the SLR thing big time but I just got tired of
    carrying around something so big. This 740 is so convenient to use.

    Obviously, trying to save a few bucks here too. Something that
    usually invites rude remarks here on newsgroups. :)

    tks
    Don

    Guest, Jul 24, 2007
  4. Guest

    dj_nme Guest

    Now that you've supplied enough info as to what you want to do, I have a
    suggestion.
    It's possible to get an eyepiece that converts an SLR lens into a telescope.
    I've seen the adaptors on eBay occasionally, the one you're after would
    be for Minolta MD (if it's a manual focus lens, or Dynax/Sony Alpha
    mount if AF).
    Once you've got the eyepiece adaptor, you then need a coupling tube to
    attach the lens of your Olympus C-740 to the eyepiece.

    I suspect that what you're really looking for is a screw-in
    teleconverter for your Olympus C-740.
    This would be easier to find than an eyepiece adaptor and then fiddle
    around with coupling tubes, as the teleconverter is a rigid unit with
    your camera when it's screwed in.
    It's also a bit easier to mount/dismount that the slr lens plus eyepiece
    adaptor plus coupling tube.

    dj_nme, Jul 24, 2007
  5. Guest

    gypsy3001 Guest

    I'm sure that this question has been asked before but my googling and
    You would not only need an adapter, but an adapter with a lens element
    to correct the afocal.

    On the other hand, you can get a reverse-lens-ring and reverse mount
    the Minolta lens on the front of the 740 for some extreme macro
    photography.

    Chieh

    gypsy3001, Jul 25, 2007
  6. Guest

    gypsy3001 Guest

    what triggered all this thinking on this subject is that we are bird
    Take a look at the Leica Digital Camera Adapter 2. This adapter allows
    you to attach Leica Televid telescope to digital cameras and camera
    phones. I don't know what the Olympus 740 is like, but I tested the
    Leica Digital Camera Adapter 2 and it works with my Panasonic DMC-LX2
    (same as Leica D-Lux2), Sony DSC-P92, and a few of my camera phones.

    Chieh

    gypsy3001, Jul 25, 2007
  7. Guest

    nospam.don

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I should have researched a bit more

    I didn't realize that there were so many options for the 740 in particular the screw on tele and wide angle adapters for reasonable prices. That may well be good enough for bird pictures and may even be interesting for general photography use. I guess I'm lucky that the 740 has threads on the lens

    I'm sure quality is not so hot but I'm just not into lugging around SLRs anymore even though they have gotten smaller.

    Can someone comment on how well these 2x telephoto adapters work on a 740. Will it effectively make it a 20x or is there distortion or vignetting or something like that when you go that high?

    I am still interested in making that minolta telephoto lens become a telescope so I need to look into that further.

    So many hobbies, so little time. Thanks for all the feedback

    best regards

    Don

    nospam.don, Jul 27, 2007