Returned Emails

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by IAN GARDNER, May 28, 2004.

  1. IAN GARDNER

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    Dear all,
    I think most of us gets the following but just ignor it.

    When I have downloaded my emails, sometimes I get one`s that say `Returned`
    and they have an attachment. I NEVER open the attachment.
    Now these emails are meant to be from Internet providers `alone the way` who
    repost your mail to get it to the correct web address box. They think that a
    virus is with them and return it to you as an attachment saying what virus
    it has! Now I actually took note of the virus name and went to the MS
    Website and it checked my computer and found nothing!

    So the questions..........

    Do any of you guys get these emails?

    Have you ever had the virus named and gone to MS and checked it out and had
    the mentioned virus

    Any other coments!

    See you guys.
    STINGMAN

    IAN GARDNER, May 28, 2004

  2. IAN GARDNER

    Jim Berwick Guest

    No. My email address is locked down and automated messages (spam, returned
    email, etc) do not get sent to me. In fact, when their server gives a
    to/from address, if it isn't on my approved list it sends /them/ a bounce
    message saying user unknown
    No. Why would you check a virus name with Microsoft? Why not use
    sarc.com?

    Jim Berwick, May 28, 2004

  3. IAN GARDNER

    colin Guest

    Just use an @hotmail.com address for your news-server settings, and de-spam
    it before posting in newsgroups. and make sure that it`s not your isp
    supplied email; such as >

    colin, May 28, 2004
  4. IAN GARDNER

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    1. I`ve never heard of sarc.com
    2. At th MS website it can scan and tell you if your computer has certain
    viuses.

    IAN GARDNER, May 28, 2004
  5. IAN GARDNER

    derek / nul Guest

    good idea
    but they never are
    An ISP will NEVER return the virus, its always a trojan.
    Most people get them

    derek / nul, May 29, 2004
  6. IAN GARDNER

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Entirely true. We here don't return the virus, but our servers do send you
    a message saying "Someone from <wherever> just tried to send you a virus"
    and include the headers of it. But never the actual virus, that'd be
    stupid.

    Jim Berwick, May 29, 2004
  7. IAN GARDNER

    Jim Berwick Guest

    It is the Symantec Antivirus Research Center.
    My teacher friend can tell me if I have certain car problems. Still, when
    you have trouble with a car you go to a mechanic. If you are concerned
    with a virus, you should go to an AV company. You can even get a free
    online scan at housecall.trendmicro.com, which is only a million times
    better than going to microsoft for the help.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004