    viruses and trojans.

    Is this something I need to worry about? Basically, what is going on?
    My ISP has not answered my request for help.

    Richard Wright, Jul 1, 2006

  2. Richard Wright

    Whiskers Guest

    Someone is using your email address in the 'from' headers to send the
    spam, and some loopy email-server admin thinks it's a good idea to bounce
    all undelivered spam, thus doubling the problem.

    There is nothing to stop people using other people's email addresses to
    fake the 'from' field.

    There is nothing you need to do, and nothing you can do unless you care to
    work out which news-servers are bouncing the undelivered spam and ask them
    to stop.

    Whiskers, Jul 1, 2006

  3. Richard Wright

    Old Gringo Guest

    Experienced similar situation, call to ISP, not much can be done, usually
    short lived as spammers change addresses frequently. I put them all in the
    spam folder and now most of them go there instead of my inbox. Putting them
    in the spam folder will not effect any returned emails that were
    undeliverable that you may have actually sent.

    Old Gringo, Jul 1, 2006
  4. Richard Wright

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Use a spam filter, kill/delete the email at the pop3 server and forget
    about it. It will pass.
    If you're talking personal, malware can easily circumvent the software
    or re-configure it if the malware can get to the machine and executes
    It sounds like your email address has been harvested off of someone's
    infected machine and is being used to spam or populate the infection to
    other machines.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 1, 2006
  5. Here is all of what appears on my screen for one email. BTW I am not
    worried by receiving these emails other than to know what is going on.

    Richard Wright, Jul 2, 2006
  6. Richard Wright

    JANA Guest

    Your email address have most likely been spoofed. Some nasty Spammer is
    probably out
    there is using it as a return address. Eventually, this will die out,
    because the Spammers generally move on.

    If you can change your email address get a new one. This will resolve the
    issue. Then you only have to tell very trusted friends about the change.

    When you get your new email address, get a Hotmail, or Yahoo, or the
    equivalent remote email address. This way, you will have an address you can
    use that is not going to bring Spam directly to your ISP, and your personal
    email program that is in your system. These remote email services also have
    very good Spam filtering.

    Many ISP's also offer user changeable Alias email addresses. This way, when
    you start getting too much Spam, you can change your address.

    To be protected from Trojans, and Viruses, you need an up to date virus
    scanner, and an adware scanner. The firewall is a different type of
    protection.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    I am getting dozens of spam emails returned to me. Problem is I never
    sent them. They are returned to my username, but with pop contained in
    the return address after @.

    The emails refer to www.Job-Alert.Net. and sometimes to "Get a free
    t-shirt together with new job".

    I have a firewall and believe myself to be well-protected against

    JANA, Jul 2, 2006
  7. Richard Wright

    EatMoPie Guest

    In Agent you can copy the headers. Reply with that.

    EatMoPie, Jul 2, 2006
  8. Thanks Mara (and the others who replied). I have stopped worrying now!

    Thanks Mara, and others who advised. I have stopped worrying now.

    Richard Wright, Jul 2, 2006
  9. Richard Wright

    Mike Easter Guest

    In the beginning, 24.121.118.236 sourced a spam with a From similar to
    your addy. That source IP is currently spamcop blocklisted for sourcing
    spam, and is a cable user IP in Bullhead (City) AZ. Probably a
    proxified trojan which is as yet still unlisted in an trojanized db/s
    such as CBL.

    The .au server mailin1.pacific.net.au received that spam and accepted it
    for delivery. That was the first mistake the server made, accepting a
    spam for delivery from a user IP which was not a server, and which was
    not SPF/ed to be sending that mail. The next mistake the server made
    was 'turning around' and creating an abusive newmail addressed to the
    bogus From. That misdirected belated 'bounce' activity is spamcop
    reportable.

    If a spamcop reporter receives an item like that you did, s/he reports
    it, the mailer-demon server mail, which leads to the pacific.net server
    getting itself blocklisted which causes that server to have trouble
    delivering some of its mail which causes the admins of that server to
    need to reconfigure their server to stop performing so stupidly and
    abusively.

    Your own provider received the so-called 'returned' newmail notify which
    was not even addressed properly to you and accepted it and put it into
    your mailbox, because

    Mail for pop.ihug.com.au is handled by mail.ihug.com.au

    RCPT TO:<>
    250 recipient <> ok

    RCPT TO:<>
    501 #5.1.1 bad address

    I don't think that behavior by your own server is very wise either, but
    maybe they have some reason for wanting to accept mail addressed to the
    4th level domainname 'pop' and then put it in the mailboxes of people
    with the 3rd level domainname ihug.com.au

    Mike Easter, Jul 2, 2006
  10. Okay, which line is the rough draft and which line is the final? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 2, 2006
  11. Thanks for the explanation Mike.

    One remaining question. Will spam have got through to innocents, who
    now believe that sends spam? In other words
    are there people out there who think I distribute spam?

    Since I have received no abuse I am hoping that the answer is no.

    Richard Wright, Jul 2, 2006
  12. Richard Wright

    Old Gringo Guest

    Brilliant :)

    Old Gringo, Jul 2, 2006
  13. Are you Jana?

    It has already been explained what is happening.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 3, 2006
  14. Richard Wright

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I think the Professor got his degree from one of those spam emails...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 3, 2006
  15. Richard Wright

    ProfGene Guest

    You have some kind of worm that is mailing spam from your computer. You
    have to run a virus scan and it would be a good idea to run an adware
    scan too.

    ProfGene, Jul 3, 2006