    mozilla.

    Grant

    Christian Dornes

    Christian Dornes, Mar 4, 2004

  2. You can use a small javascript bookmarklet to reveal the password after
    Mozilla fills it in. In the browser, open the Bookmark Manager from the
    Bookmarks menu (or press Ctrk+B). In the Bookmark Manager's File Menu,
    select New>Bookmark. In the File Bookmark dialog, paste this line in the
    Location field (be sure that it's all one continuous line):

    javascript:(function(){var s,F,j,f,i; s = %22%22; F = document.forms;
    for(j=0; j<F.length; ++j) { f = F[j]; for (i=0; i<f.length; ++i) { if
    (f.type.toLowerCase() == %22password%22) s += f.value + %22\n%22;
    } } if (s) alert(%22Passwords in forms on this page:\n\n%22 + s); else
    alert(%22There are no passwords in forms on this page.%22);})();

    Enter whatever you want to call the bookmarklet in the Name field, save
    the bookmarklet and exit the Bookmark Manager. Now navigate to the page
    where that password is used and let Mozilla fill in the password, but
    before doing anything else, click that bookmarklet and your password
    should be displayed in the resulting dialog.

    Caffeine Junkie, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Christian Dornes

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Or you can use this page: http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_pw.html

    Ed Mullen, Mar 4, 2004
  4. In the File Bookmark dialog, paste this line in the

    I did.
    Unfortunately, i got the message "There are no passwords in forms on this
    page".
    Since I am not very much into reading code, my efforts to change the script
    to make it work did not succeed.

    The form on the website looks like this:

    First Login Name (Group): Plain text
    Second Login Name (Person): Plain text

    Password: 8 Asterisks

    I did not completely understand the code, so I cannot say if the structure
    of the form prevents the script from working as it was intended.

    javascript:
    (
    function()
    {
    var s,F,j,f,i; /* ok, i get this one. initializing variables */
    s = %22%22; /* set s to "2 blanks" */
    F = document.forms; /* what type does document.forms have? what IS it? */
    for(j=0; j<F.length; ++j) /* set j to 0, increase it by one every loop */
    {
    f = F[j]; /* here's the point when I begin not to understand it */
    for (i=0; i<f.length; ++i)
    {
    if (f.type.toLowerCase() == %22password%22) s += f.value + %22\n%22;
    }
    }
    if (s) alert(%22Passwords in forms on this page:\n\n%22 + s); /* msg the pw
    */
    else alert(%22There are no passwords in forms on this page.%22); /* msg no
    pw*/
    }
    )
    ();

    Thanks,

    Christian Dornes

    Christian Dornes, Mar 4, 2004
  5. Or you can use this page: http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_pw.html

    Yeah, thank you! That's what I needed!

    The javascript:atob("<password>") method worked, I just copied
    my password from the .s file and it was decrypted.

    Thank you for your help, it was quite a problem for me because I really
    needed the password. I'm really happy now =)

    Christian Dornes

    Christian Dornes, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Christian Dornes

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Christian,

    Happy to help and I'm glad you found a solution. Now, make sure you
    bookmark that solution so the next time it pops up you'll be able to
    find it. ;-)

    BTW, hanging out in various newsgroups is the way I picked up on all
    this "stuff." I'm a fairly-compulsive organizer so I developed a set of
    pages for my own reference and then realized, hey! Other people could
    benefit from a simple URL.

    In my humble opinion, sometimes just posting a URL is a very good thing
    if the person with the problem will take the time to do a little
    reading. It will solve the problem, yes, but it will also educate that
    person and - hopefully - the next time something similar comes up, that
    user will be better-armed to tackle the problem.

    Ed Mullen, Mar 4, 2004