    Can I still take the exam?

    Is there any point in taking the exam still?

    Many thanks, Paul.

    HC - Paul, Sep 8, 2009

  2. "Retired" in a Microsoft eLearning course means that the specific instance
    of the course you are using is the older version, and there is a newer
    version now available. Recently the authoring software was updated, and a
    lot of the current content was republished with the new authoring software
    resulting in a notable number of "Retired" courses still available in active
    subscriptions.

    If you're interested in the newer version, go back to the MyLearning site
    and search for the course. It should be present and available to you in both
    the new version and the "retired" version.

    Yes.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 8, 2009

  3. HC - Paul

    HC - Paul Guest

    Thank you very much. I will look for it.

    Is there a Windows 7 certification out, or coming out? Only reason I ask is
    I am signed up to do my MCSA after that. Do you think I should do that or go
    for the Windows 7 one as it's going to be the new operating system?

    HC - Paul, Sep 11, 2009
  4. There is.

    The MCTS: Windows 7 - Configuration (Exam 70-680) is available today.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-680&locale=en-us

    Also, the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator (Windows 7) has been
    announced.
    It will require the MCTS above (Exam 70-680) and a PRO exam (70-686) which
    is scheduled for release before the end of the year.
    What you should do is dependent on where your *experience* exists, and what
    you'll be doing in the near future, and why you're pursing certfication.

    If you'll be working in an organization that plans to deploy Windows 7 as
    soon as it's available, and you'll be in the thick of things, it might be
    very useful for you to focus your attentions there. If Windows 7 is not on
    the radar for a real world scenario in the immediate future, you might defer
    that.

    Note: The MCSA requires a desktop examination requirement. The MCDST does
    not meet that requirement (but does meet the requirement of an elective).
    While not yet formally posted, the MCSA *may* accept the Windows 7 (70-680)
    as the desktop requirement (instead of WinXP or Vista). To that point, it
    may not be an either-or type of question -- earning the MCTS:Windows 7 may
    be part of the pathway to the MCSA.

    If you'll be working in a Windows Server 2003 environment as a System
    Administrator, or you're interested in getting promoted from the Help Desk
    (or other desktop admin position) then the MCSA is exactly the direction you
    should be heading.

    If the organization you're working for is already deploying Windows Server
    2008 and phasing out Windows Server 2003, then I'd be considering what value
    the MCSA would actually have. However, preparing for the MCSA *will* be
    useful in preparing for the MCITP:Server Administrator (a Windows Server
    2008 certification), and there is an upgrade exam from MCSA to MCITP:SA.
    There's a lot of value to be had in being dual certified on both server
    platforms. (In fact, having completed the MCITP:EA earlier this year, I'm
    now continuing to work on my MCSA as a point of documenting my *depth* of
    experience.)

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Sep 11, 2009