    server in another domain?

    Thanks,
    Charles

    Charles, Dec 15, 2009

  2. Charles

    Bill Grant Guest

    What would be the point? What would you restore?

    Bill Grant, Dec 15, 2009

  3. Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS], Dec 16, 2009

  4. I don't believe that would be something you would want to do. This is
    because the record owner on the records from one WINS server, belong to that
    WINS server. Therefore, if you restore that database to another WINS server
    with a different name, especially in a different domain, I do not believe it
    will work. The records will be in a mismatched owner state. I've never tried
    it due to this reason, and simply installed a new WINS server, and changed
    the WINS IP address in DHCP options and on static machines, and the database
    repopulates rather quickly.

    --
    Ace

    confers no rights.

    Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
    responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

    Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
    2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
    http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

    Ace Fekay [MCT], Dec 16, 2009
  5. Same here. Then if there are any static entries I rebuild them
    manually,...and any Admin that is smart enough to know better,....there
    intensionally won't be a lot of those static entries.

    --
    Phillip Windell

    Phillip Windell, Dec 17, 2009

  6. Good point about static entries. Usually I don;t think I've ever had to
    create any, even for *nix boxes because we've installed SAMBA on them, which
    allows it to interact with NBNS systems such as WINS.

    Ace

    Ace Fekay [MCT], Dec 17, 2009