  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Just reinstall Windows.

    Phil, Jul 27, 2003

  2. Phil

    King Coffee Guest

    I'm re-sending this message because it did not show up in my usergroup
    listing.

    Hi 24hoursupport person,

    I copied all system files (except for win386.swp) to a CD. Then I tried to
    restore them from DOS and Windows. Neither environment worked. From the
    Windows environment... Not all files are restored -- I get shared file
    violations and file in used errors. When I copy the Windows directory in
    DOS... I get a system errors, opon returning to windows. Is there a copying
    procedure, or program I can use to restore system files in Windows 98.

    King Coffee, Jul 27, 2003

  3. Phil

    Kraftee Guest

    I'm re-sending this message because it did not show up in my
    usergroup
    Very much doubt if you copied them all anyway as some would be
    hidden, unless of course you've found out how to reveal them.

    Kraftee, Jul 27, 2003
  4. Phil

    King Coffee Guest

    I made all hidden files visible. Maybe I'm copying too many files ??

    King Coffee, Jul 27, 2003
  5. Phil

    Phil Guest

    You can just install 98SE. If it is an upgrade CD, insert the qualifying
    software when prompted.

    Phil, Jul 27, 2003
  6. Phil

    Kraftee Guest

    I made all hidden files visible. Maybe I'm copying too many files ??

    Nope, what you're trying to do will not work, if you want to
    archive/ghost your drive you will required a software package to do
    so. You can't do it just by copying files across.

    For one thing it won't allow you to copy back, over writing any files
    which are in use...

    Kraftee, Jul 27, 2003
  7. Phil

    King Coffee Guest

    The re-install procedure is long. I must install Win 95, then Win 98, then
    Win 98 SE, then the MS Win 98 security patches. Plus other apps., e.g., IE
    6.

    King Coffee, Jul 27, 2003
  8. Phil

    DC Guest

    Yikes.

    I understand what you are trying to do. You cannot achieve this by the
    method you are attempting.

    This is what you want:
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

    It will be worth the expense. Trust me.

    Do a reinstall of your system, with updates and all that, and "ghost" your
    drive.

    DC, Jul 27, 2003
  9. Phil

    Kraftee Guest

    The re-install procedure is long. I must install Win 95, then Win
    98,
    Why can't you just load the last version, if it's an upgrade
    installation it will just ask you to put the prev. version install
    into your CD just after you start the install. Once it's checked that
    you have got a copy then you will just continue on with the
    installation...

    As for the security patches well the only way to get around that is to
    use a third party program such as ghost whic will do a full archive
    for you.

    Most of the patches are available for download & save (sorry i've
    forgotten the URL)

    The other way is to get a faster connection...

    Kraftee, Jul 27, 2003