Restore XP ghost image to disk

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Apr 27, 2010.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I hadn't done this in a while and could use some help on the 'big picture'.

    The original drive had 1 NTFS ( boot) and a NON-DOS ( Compaq) partition
    Used v15 Ghost to create an image of both partitions.
    Using a smaller drive ( all I have right now), I just tried to restore C:
    and have it be bootable - it does not boot - just hangs with a blinking
    cursor in upper left of screen. So maybe the image didn't contain boot data
    ? Anyhow ... where to go from here ?
    I DID try Recovery console and it prompts for Admin password. I entered what
    I THOUGHT it was - wrong. After 3 wrong tries I have to reboot. did that a
    few times and I have no clue what the pwd is.

    I then loaded UBCD and looked at the only partition. it shows starting at
    sec 63 , active, ntfs .

    Since I do not get " non-system disk" error, I assume that there IS boot
    info there, but what's not happening ? And how to fix it ?

    I COULD install a full version of 2000, XP and then overwrite it ?? ( I
    wouldn't have system specific drivers) , THEN restore image to first
    partition and boot area would still be valid ?

    Would a Win98 boot floppy, CD help ?
    (I'm thinking fixmbr type DOS commands )

    What's missing on the drive and how do I get it going ?
    Thanks for the help.

    - Bobb -, Apr 27, 2010

  2. - Bobb -

    JD Guest

    Hi Bob

    you should be able to use the ghost walker application to brows through
    the Image you created this will put your mind at rest on whether it
    actually copied the information, as for the not booting what I would try
    is (since you appear to have the ntfs partition) :

    using "Offline NT Password & Reg edit"
    (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/) remove the admin password.

    Boot to XP recovery console, login and do a "bootcfg /rebuild",
    "fixmbr", "fixboot".

    if that dose not work you might want to try a Repair Install
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

    JD

    JD, Apr 28, 2010

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I will give it a shot - thank you
    ( I had tried fixboot , fixmbr - no change or bad command)

    - Bobb -, Apr 28, 2010