    made any difference, I keep getting an error message and Avast will not
    update. Is there any way of restoring Avast without
    uninstalling/reinstalling it? Thanks for any help you giving.

    Scottie, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Scottie

    Painter Guest

    The safe way is to un install and then re install from a fresh download from
    the avast site.
    It won't take long.

    Painter, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Scottie

    Scottie Guest

    Thanks painter, I've done what you said and you were right, took less than
    ten minutes.
    ---------

    Scottie, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Scottie

    Scottie Guest

    Afraid I spoke to soon. After uninstalling Avast and then reinstalling it, I
    found out it still cannot connect with the Avast web-site to download and
    update itself. Can anyone advise me how I can sort this problem out?
    -------------------

    Scottie, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Scottie

    °Mike° Guest

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/personal

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Scottie

    Scottie Guest

    Mike I am looking for a free virus checker.
    -------

    Scottie, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Scottie

    °Mike° Guest

    There are no completely trustworthy free
    antivirus programs; they all fall short.
    Kaspersky is the best, IMO, and for £23.95
    a year (that's less than 50pence per week)
    you WILL NOT get better protection.

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  8. Scottie

    °Mike° Guest

    Oh, I forgot to add that you can try Kaspersky
    free for one month.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  9. Scottie

    Martik Guest

    Try posting your problem on the Avast forums at
    http://forum.avast.com/?lang=ENG. I had a similar problem but the
    uninstall/reinstall fixed it. You don't have any other AV installed do you?

    Martik, Jun 11, 2004
  10. Scottie

    Scottie Guest

    Thanks Mike I will try if for a month free.
    ------

    Scottie, Jun 12, 2004
  11. Scottie

    Scottie Guest

    Thanks Martik, I have the free AVG 6 installed.

    Scottie, Jun 12, 2004
  12. Scottie

    °Mike° Guest

    You won't be disappointed.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  13. Scottie

    Scottie Guest

    Downloaded Kaspersky Mike and it found a backdoor virus in news-text. Should
    I uninstall VGA or is it OK to leave it as it is?

    Scottie, Jun 12, 2004
  14. Scottie

    °Mike° Guest

    I presume you mean AVG? DO NOT have two antivirus
    programs running with "real time" protection enabled,
    at the same time. Believe me, if you have Kaspersky
    installed you do NOT need AVG.

    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004