    Restart Later" dialogue box that sometimes pops up when
    I have automatic updates enabled

    Mike

    another MickG, Apr 23, 2006

  2. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    That's coming from the download site and you have no control of it. You
    either reboot the machine so that the changes take affect or you don't.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006

  3. another MickG

    Jimchip Guest

    You don't. You've received an update that will not take effect until you
    reboot.

    You could disable AutoUpdates and just do them manually. Or you could just
    be alerted that updates are available with out triggering the restart.

    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  4. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The person should just reboot the machine when asked and go on about his
    business. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  5. another MickG

    Jimchip Guest

    Gee Duane, I think it was a case of him going about his business and
    AutoUpdates was interrupting it.

    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  6. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Everyone has sat there and downloaded those updates and had them go to
    at one point of asking do you want to reboot the machine for those
    updates that require that the machine be rebooted. It doesn't matter if
    Autoupdates are on or not on and has nothing to do with it. That
    question is going to be asked at the end of the update session.

    You can't disable that sequence of the question be asked, because it's
    coming through the update application that's running. There is nothing
    at the O/S level that can be set to diable that msgbox from showing.

    Now, the OP can reboot the machine by replying Yes or he can reply No to
    not reboot to that Yes/No msgbox. The Yes/No msgbox box is coming and
    there is noway it can be disabled.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  7. another MickG

    Jimchip Guest

    Though subject to interpretation, the OP seemed to indicate the AutoUpdates
    was running in the background (like MS intended, sorta) and OP is using the
    computer 'going about their normal business' when, in the middle of all of
    that, "YOU NEED TO REBOOT" pops up. OP is not 'sitting there', purposely
    downloading updates as part of a normal maintainance routine- OP is being
    interrupted.
    Disable AutoUpdates (except maybe for notification) and 'manually' update as
    part of a regular routine. Something to do when there's not much else going
    on.
    If it gets that far.

    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  8. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    That's you interpretation of it. I saw it for what it was reboot or not
    reboot the machine which is be controlled by the installation program,
    as I have set install programs like Installshied to ask that question to
    boot or not boot the machine upon software install.
    Again, the reboot or not to reboot has nothing to do with the Autoupdate
    and is part of the install software that has made the install is the one
    asking the question.
    I have never had a problem. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  9. another MickG

    Jimchip Guest

    Duane, you get get no argument from me-- I am postive that you need to
    reboot all of the time :)
    The OP's AutoUpdate 'sounds like' it is set to download *and* install
    automatically. My suggestion is to just turn it off. Nothing else should be
    installing and requiring a reboot unless it's either 1) a consious download
    and install on the users part or 2) It's Duane's computer which apparently
    needs a reboot after evey user sneeze or finger drum.
    "Just Re-boot" is my recommendation for you also.

    Jimchip, Apr 23, 2006
  10. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I boot when I need to boot and sometimes I don't boot until I am done
    with something, like *when I am in the middle of doing something." :)

    But am I going to go off the deep end with Oh my God - Oh my God I am
    being asked to reboot -- NO. I"ll just do it at a later time or I'll do
    it right away. It depends on what I am doing. ;-)
    When I feel the need and it ask would I like to do it or not and
    sometimes I do and sometimes I don't depending upon what I am into at
    the time.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 23, 2006
  11. another MickG

    Phil® Guest

    Duane Arnold,

    I agree with you and Jimchip

    I belive restarting now or later when you want to restart now or not is right.

    Take care

    Phil®, Apr 23, 2006
  12. Phew, I didn't expect a dogfight !!! Perhaps I'd
    better make things a little clearer.

    1, I am rolling out updates to users on our network, in
    the background, the users have no idea their machines
    are being updated until POW !!!! they are asked to reboot

    2. The users are not admins so the "Restart Later"
    option is greyed out (nice one Microsoft)

    3. A lot of our users are not exactly computer savvy
    and panic when faced with a button saying "Restart Now"
    when in the middle of a Word Doc or something.

    So, congrats to JimChip, you are absolutely right. And
    sorry to Duane, but you need to brush up a bit on your
    people skills.

    The race is still on for anyone who can sort out a
    solution to this.....

    Mike

    another MickG, Apr 24, 2006
  13. another MickG

    Phil® Guest

    Why tell me, but that's okay, so while I'm here, not for nothing,
    I just like to say I enjoyed the intellectual banter between Jimchip
    and Duane Arnold they both were friendly to each other and gave good advice.

    Take care

    Phil®, Apr 24, 2006
  14. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Yes, you're correct and the OP doesn't know what he is talking about. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006
  15. another MickG

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Well, what you're supposed to be doing is rolling the updates out after
    hours and telling your users to log off the machines before they go home
    leaving them at the login screen. The updates can be applied after hours
    and not during working hours.

    The rollout software that's doing this across a network can run
    unattended and can boot the machines too so they are ready for the
    end-users the next morning.

    If any user didn't leave their machine on, then you compile the list of
    the machines that were missed and notify again, and run the rollout
    software unattended after working hours to apply the updates to the
    machines that were missed.

    I have worked with Admins that knew how to do this.

    The solution is you take the end-user out of the picture period so that
    they don't get the POW. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 24, 2006