    you wait after you shutdown your computer, before you restart it ? 30
    seconds ? Less ? More ? TIA.
    Steve

    Steve H., Jul 19, 2004

  2. Steve H.

    Mellowed Guest

    5 seconds ought to do it.

    : I've heard different things on this question. How many seconds should

    Mellowed, Jul 19, 2004

  3. Steve H.

    Steve H. Guest

    I've heard 30 seconds and also 10 seconds. Is 5 seconds long enough
    for the hard drive platters to stop spinning, etc. ?

    Steve H., Jul 19, 2004
  4. Steve H.

    Boomer Guest

    I wait at least 10 seconds before I reboot.

    Boomer, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Steve H.

    Mellowed Guest

    I think the objective of a total shut-down is to only clear the memory.
    5 seconds should allow any capacitors that are holding up the memory to
    discharge. 10 seconds is better. I always approximate between 5-10
    seconds. Of course, this scenario only comes up if a plain old
    'Restart' is not believed to be sufficient. I don't think having the HD
    platters stop is required.

    : > 5 seconds ought to do it.
    : >
    : >
    :

    Mellowed, Jul 19, 2004
  6. Steve H.

    Shiggity

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ten seconds should do it

    I just underwent this scenario: my computer was having issues, I waited two seconds and rebooted: it would not load past the BIOS. I tried five seconds three times. Then I just sat down and waited the full ten and it booted up, no trouble.

    Shiggity, Dec 11, 2007