  1. Kwyjibo

    Consultant Guest

    i dont call it greed, i call it "you get what you pay for"

    Consultant, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Kwyjibo

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    i said it once and i will say it again.

    we are in IT because we love what we do and we like sitting behind a
    computer all day long. we are not in IT because of the money. you wanna be
    rich, go to school and become a lawyer or a doctor - or just open a
    bootcamp.:-(

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Kwyjibo

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    $25k/annum for a paper MCSE that can format floppies all day. not a bad
    gig if you can get it.

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Kwyjibo

    Neil Guest

    .....i hate you...

    Neil, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Kwyjibo

    Neil Guest

    I believe that location is a factor as well. If you live in NY or TO or
    LA you will make more. And pay way more to live there. If you are making
    enough to live comforatbly (you eat, you don't get rained on at night and
    you aren't barefoot), quitcherbichin' or some schmo will be happy to oust
    ya!

    Neil, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Kwyjibo

    Kwyjibo Guest

    Thanks for your reply!!!
    Actually, I'm not a greedy person who demands too much.
    I have been working here from past 5 months they hired me as a Network Admin
    but the work I'm doing is different. They made me sign a stupid contract for
    2 years and after I complained abt the pay they did talk abt a raise, but no
    sight of it yet.
    I'm being patient, they are paying for my certification and I'm trying to
    get experience.
    but Thanks again for your reply!!

    Kwyjibo, Apr 20, 2004
  7. Kwyjibo

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    I find it quite amusing. The whole "contract renegotiation" thing. Happens a
    bit in pro sports, and I laugh every time. If the pay was unacceptable to
    you, why on earth did you sign the contract? Be thankful that they didn't
    laugh in yuor face when you told them the pay wasn't enough. At least
    they're hearing you out and not mocking you. And, if you signed a contract
    as "Network Admin", you should be doing network administration. Not
    "different" work. You contract is for network administration. Period. Not
    mopping the floor or answering phones. Tell them to give you network
    administration work.

    Ken Briscoe, Apr 20, 2004
  8. Kwyjibo

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    alright!! there is gonna be a cool job opening coming up soon.

    yes dude, go for the big bucks, please...

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 20, 2004
  9. Kwyjibo

    Kat Guest

    Thanks Sue. I was getting ready to post myself. I make what he does as
    well, but our Network Admin doesn't make much more (i'm just a lowly
    analyst).

    Be happy with 35K... if you aren't, tell me where you work, I'll apply :)

    Kat, Apr 20, 2004
  10. Kwyjibo

    Kat Guest

    We've established that. Ignore him, he might go away.

    What do you DO for that kinda money? I need to get involved in some of that!

    Kat, Apr 20, 2004
  11. Kwyjibo

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    well, if he is making exactly 35K at exactly 3 month intervals, then he
    must be getting quarterly cheques from the govement for extreme disability.

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 20, 2004
  12. Kwyjibo

    kpg Guest

    Unbelievable!

    How can anyone (that isn't single) live on 35k a year?

    I live in Louisiana, ranked 49th in poverty, no property
    taxes on anything under 80k. and I make 75K and my wife
    (a school teacher) makes 22K and I still have trouble paying
    the bills.

    Now LA schools suck so my two kids are in private
    school, plus I have some credit card bills, a mortgage,
    cable, car note, etc. but I would have to declare bankruptcy
    to go on 35K.

    And that's what the industry has to offer?

    What is wrong with you people? I guess the start at entry
    level and work your way up thing is fine, especially for the
    younger crowd just starting out, but I thought the days of
    staying with a company long term were over. Companies have no
    loyalty to tenured employees anymore; jut lay them off when
    profits take a dip.

    Screw big companies, they scare me. Now, a government job
    that's what you want. Can't get fired, excellent benefits,
    great retirement. Eh, Consultant?

    kpg

    kpg, Apr 20, 2004
  13. Kwyjibo

    Consultant Guest

    super-gimp

    Consultant, Apr 20, 2004
  14. Kwyjibo

    Consultant Guest

    i am a consultant, contract employee, fully expendable, i am here to perform
    the work which they refuse and are not capable of doing. but yes, the
    government gig is ideal, because, you can be a complete idiot with no
    recognizable skills and never get fired or repremanded for not even
    attempting to pretend to work. i see it every day.

    Consultant, Apr 20, 2004
  15. Kwyjibo

    Neil Guest

    really? I can't find the camera in my office. where did you put it?

    Neil, Apr 20, 2004
  16. Kwyjibo

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    waz up, daddy-o! you makin' fun of me?

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 20, 2004
  17. Kwyjibo

    billyw Guest

    sit at home most days of the week and drink beer for that kinda money

    billyw, Apr 20, 2004
  18. Kwyjibo

    kpg Guest

    you can be a complete idiot with no

    Nice work if you can get it.

    kpg

    kpg, Apr 20, 2004
  19. Kwyjibo

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    oh, you use linux too.

    Rowdy Yates, Apr 20, 2004
  20. Kwyjibo

    Kat Guest

    Uh... as a "government" worker, I beg to differ. High end, HIGHEST
    possible rate here is $29 an hour, canadian tire money. I'm making $25
    now. Hence the medical school consideration. My BF works for a hospital,
    also Government, makes $30 as well. He sin't likely to get a raise
    either, despite his experience (years) certs, or the fact that he has 4
    hospitals fighting over him. I still can't believe some of the stories
    he tells me about the stupid poeple who work there...

    Kat, Apr 20, 2004