Resolution Limit of the Human Eye?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dr. Slick, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Dr. Slick

    Dr. Slick Guest

    Ok,

    It's been discussed here numerous times, but this newbie has to
    bring it up again.

    I got a very high resolution scan of mine printed the other day,
    and the limit on the digital printer (on photographic paper, not
    ink-jet) was 400 ppi.

    Someone wrote that 360 ppi was the limit the average human eye can
    discern (i assume they meant that you can get as close as you wish,
    and you will still not see the pixels). As this seems to make sense,
    then a limit of 400 ppi would make sense too, as this is slightly
    over.

    When i got the prints back, the brightness and contrast were a bit
    different than my screen at home...however, they were fantastic in
    that i couldn't see any pixels at all.

    Some of the ink-jet printers have a 300 ppi limit, and i wonder if
    ink-jet turns out a bit worse than doing it on photographic paper.

    What do you folks think?

    Slick

    Dr. Slick, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Dr. Slick

    Tom Nelson Guest

    Tom Nelson, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Dr. Slick

    Don Stauffer Guest

    The eye resolution is rated in angle, since there is no standard of
    distance. Using an angle rating allows you to compute linear resolution
    at whatever angle you need. A good ballpark estimate is about one
    minute of arc.

    So we would have about sixty lines per degree.

    Don Stauffer, Oct 13, 2003
  4. And there is a limit to how much detail can be shown on either photographic
    paper or the paper used for photographs on an inkjet printer.

    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Dr. Slick

    Happy Hippo Guest

    Don't forget the two processes are different. The printer uses
    halftones/dithering whereas the prints won't have to...

    HH

    Happy Hippo, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Dr. Slick

    Paul H. Guest

    The portion of the retina containing the most sensitive cones is a roughly
    circular area called the fovea centralis which has a diameter of about 0.3mm
    and a cone density of 199,000 cones per square millimeter.

    Oh yeah--the full moon's image on the retina is about 0.2mm in diameter.

    You do the math.

    Paul H., Oct 15, 2003