Resolution for an 8x10 from Wal-Mart?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bballxdotcom, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. bballxdotcom

    bballxdotcom Guest

    I am planning on creating some digital pictures and then going to
    Wal-Mart to have them printed out via the 1-hour photo machine. My
    question is, what is the best pixel resolution to create the digital
    photos in for maximum quality of the final print? I'm new to the
    world of photography so any help is greatly appreciated!
    bballxdotcom, Sep 6, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. bballxdotcom

    Mike Graham Guest

    The rule of thumb for photo quality is 300 dots per inch. That's
    2400x3000 pixels, or 7.2 megapixels. I doubt your camera can do that. I
    know *mine* can't. Still, I've printed a few 8x10 shots that I like, and
    they were taken with my 3.2 megapixel camera.

    Mike Graham | Metalworker, rustic, part-time zealot.
    mike 'at' |
    <>| Caledon, Ontario, Canada

    Lousy photographer with a really nice camera - Olympus C3020Zoom.
    Mike Graham, Sep 6, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. bballxdotcom

    Bryan Olson Guest

    Wal-Mart uses the Fuji Frontier to print from digital files
    (well, all the Wal-Marts I've seen that do digital prints). You
    can find info on preparing your files at:
    Bryan Olson, Sep 6, 2003
  4. bballxdotcom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    MOre is always better, but for a Wal-Mart print, anything over 200dpi
    would be gravy.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 6, 2003
  5. If you use Photoshop, double click the crop tool. Check the box "Fixed
    target size"
    Enter 8" X 10" for the H and W. Enter 240 ppi in the resolution box.
    (you could enter 300ppi, but you would just be inventing more pixels,
    not improving the resolution)
    Drag the crop tool to capture the image you want, then press ENTER.
    In one fell swoop, you crop exactly to an 8 x 10 image with 240 ppi
    Other photo editors probably have a similar method to do this.
    Bob Williams
    Robert E. Williams, Sep 6, 2003
  6. bballxdotcom

    Frank ess Guest

    Is the Fell Swoop a plug-in? I can't seem to find it in my PS.
    Frank ess, Sep 6, 2003
  7. bballxdotcom

    Steven Guest

    In PhotoShop 6.0 (Windows) it appears as a "option" tool bar under the
    menu bar . It use to show you what control a tool has and to change it
    if you want. But its real great for the crop tool because it will grey
    out what it will crop to make your 8x10 so you now what its going
    to crop.

    (to send me email take the cash from me)
    Steven, Sep 7, 2003
  8. PS calls it "cropping to a fixed target size".
    American Heritage College Dictionary says, "in one fell swoop", means...all
    at once.
    I don't know where the phrase originated, but I've used it since childhood.
    Sounds like something Billy Shakespeare might have come up with.
    Robert E. Williams, Sep 7, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.