    cluster marking/status?

    Thanks
    Rocky

    Rocky, Apr 17, 2004

  2. Rocky

    Unk Guest

    Try this: Open a command prompt and type:

    chkdsk /r

    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F)

    Unk, Apr 17, 2004

  3. Rocky

    Rocky Guest

    Tried that it doesn't work. Windows XP itself somehow keeps track of
    what it thinks are bad clusters. I know if I format the hard drive and
    reinstall everything the clusters will be good, but I don't want to
    have to do that. There are several utilities for resetting and
    retesting clusters marked bad for DOS and Windows 9X, but I haven't
    found anything to do the same with Windows XP. There must be a way.
    Help.

    Rocky

    Rocky, Apr 17, 2004