    scanned it (it found 22)!
    I thought a virus scan would solve the problem, but the problem persists.
    Any ideas please?

    Johnny8977, Mar 19, 2005

  2. Johnny8977

    Top Guest

    Tell him to brush his teeth!

    (Sorry, harry made me do it)

    Top, Mar 19, 2005

  3. Johnny8977

    carson Guest

    Format, reinstall
    I suppose you could just repair, and limp it
    back to life...But, Formatting won't have you back
    with the same problem next weekend.

    carson, Mar 19, 2005
  4. Johnny8977

    Ron Martell Guest

    If you cannot boot into Windows in normal or safe mode then your
    options are limited.

    If the computer has a Windows installation CD (not a "System Recovery"
    CD such as is provided with many major brand computers) then boot the
    computer with the Windows CD and choose the "Repair (Recovery
    Console)" option from the menu. When it finishes loading the
    Recovery Console and stops at the command prompt enter the following
    command:

    CHKDSK C: /R

    That has a slight chance of fixing the problem.

    If that does not resolve the issue then boot the computer again with
    the Windows XP CD and do a complete Repair Install as per the
    instructions at http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    Note that a Repair Install will not be possible if the computer has
    been upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack 2 and the CD is for the
    original release or Service Pack 1 versions. In that case it will be
    necessary to first create a new install CD with Service Pack 2
    slipstreamed onto it as per the instructions at
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    A Repair Install will preserve all of the installed applications,
    configuration settings, and user data files. However all of the
    Widows Updates will have to be reinstalled.

    And when the computer is fixed be sure to tell the dolt that owns it
    that he *must* install an antivirus program and he *must* keep it up
    to date. Virus definition files should never be more than a week old.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Johnny8977

    Johnny8977 Guest

    Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go. And don't worry, I'm going to MAKE
    SURe he takes antivirus stuff a lot more seriously from now on.

    Johnny8977, Mar 20, 2005
  6. Johnny8977

    Jason Guest

    This is actually caused by an Malware called "wupdater". It changes a
    registry key and a couple of other things but its been a while since
    I've messed with it so I have to look it up..........

    K.. here's a link that might help
    http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.htm

    hope you haven't reformatted yet

    Jason, Mar 21, 2005