Rescuing old Win95 program - need help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nicuss, Aug 11, 2007.

1. nicuss

nicuss

I'm trying to rescue some old program that I found installed on a hard drive (don't have the install CD). Was able to figure out what files it uses - the ones in its directory plus a few DLLs in Windows/System/.

Copying everything over to a WinXP PC and trying to run it only results in a "Could not retrieve host path" error, nothing else. I understand that its DLLs need to be somehow registered, and I tried to run "REGSVR32.EXE xxxx.DLL" on all of them, but every single one fails to register with error message: "xxxx.DLL is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type".

Another thing I remember from when I ran this a long time ago is that it used a database (I think btrieve.dll), not sure if I need to hook it up somehow before it'll work.

Any insight into what I'd need to do to get this to run would be appreciated. I tried Win95 compatibility mode but no luck.

nicuss, Aug 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. nicuss

nicuss

Nobody knows this stuff over here?

nicuss, Sep 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. nicuss

nicuss

I'm still hoping to find a solution to this.. :confused:

nicuss, Sep 25, 2007
  4. nicuss