Requirements for a picture viewer/organizer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gisle Hannemyr, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. The list below outlines my "top 10" requirements for a good picture
    viewer/organizer for digital photos:

    1. Support for all major file formats (at least JPEG, TIFF, PNG)
    as well as RAW from the major brands.
    2. Full size pictures should be stored in the OS directory
    structure (not inside some database).
    3. Viewer should automatically build a picture-browsing database
    by scanning the OS directory structure after user has indicated
    "top" directory (or directories). Should recognize network
    drives.
    4. A simple slideshows should be available (nothing fancy - all I
    want is a mode to quickly flip through full size versions of all
    pictures in a particular folder).
    5. Contact sheets function should permit user to specify which EXIF
    data to print below each thumbnail.
    6. Should recognize the need to group several versions of a
    picture (i.e. RAW, TIFF, PNG, JPG, etc.) under a single picture
    "entry" - and only show or print a single thumbnail if user has
    made such a grouping.
    7. Powerful search function where one could search for a picture
    based on (for example) File name, Date of capture, Comments, and
    EXIF/IPTC metadata.
    8. Should keep track of directories moved to off-line archival
    storage (e.g. CDs and DVDs.) Thumbnails of off-line media should
    be browseable, and metadata of off-line media should be
    searchable. Clicking on a thumbnail for a image kept on off-line
    media should prompt for the volume to be inserted.
    9. Let user add new (real or virtual) folders to the browsing
    database. "Real" folders correspond to OS directories, "virtual"
    are just known by the viewer. The "virtual" directories is to
    hold "virtual" images (i.e. symbolic links to images that reside
    in another directory). The idea is to permit navigation using
    alternative axes.
    10. "Kiosk mode". (I.e. browsing and/or slideshow with all other
    functions disabled).

    Does something with specs like this exist?

    I have looked at a number of viewers, the only one I've liked
    so far is IrfanView. It does 1-4 fairly well, but not (AFAIK)
    the rest.

    A surpring number of the viewers out there do a lot of /other/ things
    (some well, others less well) that I already use stand-alone products
    for. I am of course not going to turn down a good product for having
    a feature I am not going to use, but for the record, the following does
    (IMHO) only add bloat to a picture viewer/organizer:

    - Fetching pictures from the digital camera.
    - Retouching, resizing, converting, clipping and filtering.
    - "Album" or "booklet" layout (for the web or for printing).
    - "Creative" slideshow (with transient effects, sound, etc).
    - EXIF/IPTC editing

    Gisle Hannemyr, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Gisle Hannemyr

    LauraK Guest

    LauraK, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Thumbs-Plus from Cerious Software does 1-9 (the virtual folders are
    called "galleries"). I've never looked for 10, I don't say it
    *doesn't* do 10, I just don't know.
    That's there; though as a separate application. The product includes
    a viewer, which includes some simple editing, as most viewers seem to
    these days.

    I actually use it quite a bit, for snapshot conversions and such.
    That's a key part of the process; in fact it needs to be more closely
    integrated. For example, when I add keywords, I want them added to
    the IPTC as well. I'd like to automatically put location information
    and date information in, too.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 5, 2004