    Guest Guest

    Thinking of purchasing this OS. Have heard some negative feedback. Would
    like some reviews by actual users. Thanks.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2006

  2. If you don't need 64bits stick with x86. I have never had a blue screen
    with XP Pro x64 in a year and a half. Very very stable. All of the apps I
    use work on it and it supports all my devices. Your mileage may vary. Keep
    in mind that it is not an upgrade of XP Pro. It is an alternative version
    of XP Pro for those with the need for 64bit addressing.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 24, 2006

  3. Guest

    Dshai Guest

    Which OS? XP x64, Vista64, or Win2k3 64?

    Dshai, Dec 24, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    xp x64

    Guest, Dec 24, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Colin. Why would a person need 64bits. My chip is a AMD 64 3800+.
    Will this OS run Office 2003 and Explorer and Flight Sim X at a faster speed?
    Thanks.

    Guest, Dec 24, 2006
  6. Flight Sim might run a little better, but that depends on the memory too.
    Where a 64bit OS shines is with content creation and memory-heavy technical
    work. Office runs pretty much like Office always runs. As native 64bit
    apps proliferate, though, the pendulum will swing. With launch five or six
    weeks off, I would say that if you want to go 64 think Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 24, 2006
  7. Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 24, 2006
  8. Guest

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I ran XP x64 on my daily personal PC for almost a year (before switching
    recently to Vista x64) and I loved it too. Granted, there was no pressing
    reason for me to move to x64, I just wanted to try it out. :p Although
    now that I have 4 GB of RAM in my PC, a 64-bit OS is necessary to make the
    most of it.

    Using it as a daily personal or work OS is certainly feasible, it just takes
    a bit of research before you switch to make sure that there are drivers for
    the hardware you need and no major compatibility problems with programs that
    you use on a regular basis.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Dec 24, 2006
  9. Guest

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I should also mention that there is a trial version available. You should
    try it and see how it works for you before you buy it.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Dec 24, 2006
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Aaron. Do you have the link for the trial version?

    Guest, Dec 25, 2006
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Dec 25, 2006
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Colin.

    Guest, Dec 25, 2006
  13. * greatsky:
    I'm using Winxp x64 since it came out mid-2005 together with a 16GB
    memory upgrade for my workstation (HP xw8200 Dual XEON 3.6GHz). I'm
    still using it, now on a faster machine (HP xw9300 Dual DC Opteron 285,
    32GB DDR). The main reason for using x64 Windows is the memory.

    Is it stable? Yes, definitely. It's rock solid, I really never had a
    single crash since I got it. Is it reliable? Yes, it's also very
    reliable. But then, I never ever had a single problem with 32bit Windows
    on my machines, too. So it's not surprising that Winxp x64 is running
    fine. If you search the net then you'll find that others didn't have the
    same positive experience and suffered from several instabilities...

    Would I recommened it? Well, that depends. Unlike some rumors 32bit
    programs do _not_ run faster on x64 Windows than on the 32bit version.
    And the amount of native x64 programs is very small, and there are no
    signs that this will change in the foreseeable future. Together with
    that, the driver support is very bad. Windows x64 requires x64 drivers,
    32bit drivers don't work. And for the majority of hardware out there
    there simply are no 64bit drivers.
    Besides that, there also are issues with some programs. 16bit programs
    don't work, and this also includes the 16bit installers that lots of
    older 32bit Windows programs use to get installed. And there are still
    issues with some 32bit programs, for example iTunes (the last version
    that worked with xp x64 was 6.0.4, newer versions don't even install in
    Winxp x64)...

    So if you don't really have native x64 programs and/or more than 4GB of
    memory I'd strongly suggest to stay with the 32bit Windows versions, be
    it xp or the new Vista.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 25, 2006
  14. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Think you have gone crazy :) but read and follow post above and we'll
    reassess.

    John Barnes, Dec 26, 2006
  15. I think you have a local computer problem. XP Pro x64 is known for its
    rock-solid stability. You have a hardware issue, possible memory. Reseat
    your video and memory cards, reseat the cable connections, and see what you
    have.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 26, 2006
  16. Fix your hardware problems, and all will be well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Dec 27, 2006
  17. If you will ANSWER the questions asked you, you'll get help. Since you so
    far have refused to actually answer the questions asked, we can't do much
    for you.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 27, 2006
  18. Guest

    Dshai Guest

    Your issues would appear to be entirely hardware, the operating system, no
    matter what it is, will never be able to compensate for a poorly built or
    poorly maintained system.

    Dshai

    Dshai, Dec 27, 2006
  19. Guest

    Jane C Guest

    Our collective crystal ball has gone on a much-needed vacation ;-) It
    might even meet up with my braincell <g>

    Jane C, Dec 27, 2006