  1. John

    alexd Guest

    You forgot 'funny'.

    alexd, Feb 9, 2006

  2. John

    Not Here Guest

    Thats because the incumbant ISP has an "ADSL marker" on the line, which
    BT (AFAIK) cant remove without a cspecific request from said ISP

    Not Here, Feb 9, 2006

  3. John

    Kraftee Guest

    & just how did they a an 'ADSL Marker' on a line which didn't have a
    number? It didn't exist in any form as the customer ported it over
    when they went to pastures new. It's far more likely that they fell
    down one of the cracks & just plain got missed

    Kraftee, Feb 10, 2006
  4. John

    news Guest

    But what happens if BT won't reveal which ISP? I'm stranded in limbo
    after leaving one ISP because my intended new one is being told they
    cannot have the line as it is allocated.

    Both old and new ISPs say they don't have the line. BT refuses to
    identify who has it because they say this is not permitted under the
    Data Protection Act. If I want to know who it is, I have to go to OfCom.
    I've been told that can take several weeks.

    Bureaucracy gone mad.

    news, Feb 10, 2006
  5. John

    Chris Davies Guest

    IANAL. That's not what the DPA is about. The DPA is about ensuring
    that Personally Identifying information is not shared without
    concern. Identifying an ISP is not Personal Information and therefore
    is not relevant to the DPA.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Feb 10, 2006
  6. John

    Peter M Guest

    Yes, I've had the DPA response (when I was getting calls from
    a load of payphones in one part of London to my 0800 number).
    Then it was "commercially sensitive" and another time that it
    was "likely to be used by terrorists" (5+ years ago, so IRA
    was not impossible, perhaps). Just one way they try to get
    around answering.

    Freeserve repeatedly told me they had cancelled ADSL on one of
    my lines, but hadn't. Took 3 months to be clear of them and I
    had two chats with BT Wholesale, who tended to get upset that
    I had been given their number, and that they shouldn't talk
    to me as I am not an ISP... they did confirm the ADSL was
    not cancelled and still with Freeserve, however. However
    I was lucky as I had another ADSL connection on another line!

    Peter M, Feb 10, 2006