Requesting a MAC Code

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi. I have been on ADSL for the last two years. In the last 8 months
    the service has gone drastically downhill since the ADSL provider I
    was with "Central Point Broadband" CPBB was taken over by Fast24.

    Since last summer I have been telephoning, emailing, faxing, writing
    letters etc to try and get a MAC Code.

    Every time I have managed to get through on the telephone it is the
    same person speaking to me, leading me to think that this is a one man
    operation! Plus the fact it is his voice on all the robot answering
    machine for all the telephone lines. I have so far not been able to
    get the MAC code, and I think it is a deliberate tactic on their (his)
    part not to give them out. He made some excuse about having trouble
    getting MAC Codes from his provider??? He is the provider, shouldn't
    he be able to get it quite easily to give me?

    I think my only option left now is to cancel the payments (if that's
    possible?) It is coming out of my bank account every month. How do I
    go about stopping that? Bearing in mind that I am well past the 1 year
    time span where I have to stay with this company, and since they took
    over the company I was with I have been communicating with them and
    requesting the MAC code for about 8 months now.

    When I go online to my bank, the payments for the broadband to Fast24
    seem to be listed as MAE which says "Maestro Debit Card Transaction".
    I have recently had a new card issued by my bank. If this has a new
    expiry date and issue number, would this stop these payments from
    going through do you know? Or would they still continue to go through?
    Would I need to call my bank to have this cancelled? Or would I need
    to telephone Fast24 and have it cancelled? They know that I have
    wanted to leave for the last 8 months because I have kept asking them
    for a MAC code and have made this plainly clear. I really hope I don't
    have to call them to request that this is cancelled because you can
    bet your life the payments will still continue to flow if I do have to
    get them to cancel it.

    Unfortunately I can't see any other way, cancelling payments seems to
    be the only option to get the message across, and hoping that the ADSL
    line is freed up as soon as possible so I can sign with a better
    alternative provider? I think I may have to use a 56k dial up for up
    to a month while the line is being freed? Is this correct, and is
    there anyone I can contact eg like BT so the line can be freed up

    You can bet your bottom dollar if I take this route there will be
    problems as well and I will be without broadband for a number of
    weeks. It has to be done though, they are not playing ball and giving
    me this MAC code, I can just tell that Fast24 are fobbing me off and
    simply not giving the codes out. The customer service is atrocious.

    Help! What to do? I thought all my problems with broadband would be
    over when I ditched NTHells cable service, and things were going great
    guns with CPBB until this Fast24 took over.

    Drat, Drat and Double Drat!

    John, Feb 7, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Thus spaketh John:
    With credit cards and debit cards even if you get replacement cards with a new
    number, dates etc, you will still be liable for CCCA's on your original card.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 7, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. John

    Phil Guest

    John wrote:

    Eh? Just allocate your own, like this:

    Mac Code vers:2.1 system:mac/8.0 CPU:1/PPC601/60MHz RAM:24Mb mac:)
    since:1987 use:) rsrc:) BeOS:) win:p dos:p unix:| apple:) M$:-( code:D
    Phil, Feb 7, 2006
  4. John

    Phil Dyde Guest


    You can report the ISP to ofcom for failing to provide the MAC code. They
    have to provide this to allow service migration. Have a look at for more info.

    Failing that give them the required period of termination notice in writing
    and then cancel the payments after this period. You can cancel direct debits
    easily and they are covered by legal redress if the supplier takes money out
    of your account they are not entitled to.

    Best of luck.

    Phil Dyde, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh Phil:
    I think they mean they require a MAC or Migration Authorisation Code, though
    they did actually ask for the details you post, or they have asked for a
    Migration Authorisation Code code.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Feb 7, 2006
  6. John

    Phil Guest

    Aha, I wondered what it meant.

    Phil, Feb 7, 2006
  7. John

    NewsWD Guest

    No, this is a *voluntary* code of practice at the moment. Fast24 use
    Netservices PLC for most of their connections, neither F24 or
    Netservices have yet signed up to the code (see

    F24 is notorious for this, and to be fair to their office drones the
    problem is known to be with Netservices, who happen to be a very big
    supplier who do not really care about their smaller resellers.

    F24's notice period is 14 days before the billing date. I cancelled
    mine last month, they haven't debited me since. The line is still ADSL-
    active, and this will pose a problem when I decide to order a new ADSL
    service. Again this is a known issue with F24/Netservices and good ISPs
    can push the right buttons with BT to get the line released for a new
    service. If you have a look through the group archive, there is quite a
    bit on how to force BT to release lines when this occurs.

    NewsWD, Feb 7, 2006
  8. John

    John Guest

    I thought that legally ISPs were slightly different to Mobile Networks
    in that they don't have to issue a MAC. I don't think complaining to
    Ofcom will do much good. It is probably more hassle than its worth.
    I have already given them written notice that I want to leave and
    would like a MAC back in I think it was September of last year. Would
    this still count, or would I have to send a new letter in writing
    giving another 30 days in addition to the 8 or so months they've
    already had?

    Unfortunately it's not a direct debit it is a recurring Maestro Debit
    Card payment every month.
    I honestly think it will be a big hassle. They never bothered
    responding to my last letter which I sent recorded. I think they would
    just continue taking the payments, and it looks like a new card isn't
    going to stop that. There's only one thing for it. Close down bank
    account, open new bank account. I think this will be the easiest. I
    haven't been too impressed with my bank in recent years anyway, so it
    will kill two birds with one stone. I'll have to set up all my direct
    debits though on a new account elsewhere which will be a pain.

    Perhaps I will drop a short note to Ofcom about making it a
    requirement that ISPs issue the MAC promptly?

    John, Feb 7, 2006
  9. John

    James Guest

    Worryingly i cant find an entry for Central Point Broadband or similar at
    Companies Housr....
    James, Feb 7, 2006
  10. John

    Paul Cupis Guest

    He is probably not the BT Wholesale customer, and resells someone elses
    connection - whilst he is your provider he must get MAC codes from his
    provider (who in turn get them from BT).

    Further, he/they are not required to give a MAC code - your alternative
    is to cease the service and re-order with another provider once the line
    is clear (probable downtime 10-14 working days).
    Paul Cupis, Feb 7, 2006
  11. John

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Really? Care to cite chapter and verse?
    Paul Cupis, Feb 7, 2006
  12. John

    Tiddy Ogg Guest

    Regarding your payments... this is known as a continuing authority,
    and to stop them you must ask the payee, not your bank. A very dodgy
    area unless you have a good deal of confidence in the firm you're

    Tiddy Ogg.
    Tiddy Ogg, Feb 8, 2006
  13. John

    Not Here Guest

    I *think* you will find that its a voluntary code of practice that the ISPs can
    opt out of, with regard to issuing MACs
    A lot of these reseller ISPs are having similar problems getting MACs
    out to the customers
    A cease and reprovide seems the fastest way of leaving TBH

    No One Here
    Not Here, Feb 8, 2006
  14. John

    Kraftee Guest

    Frain it's not, in practice, as it can take months for the ISP to get
    around telling BT to release the line so another ISP can provide
    Kraftee, Feb 8, 2006
  15. John

    Not Here Guest

    Well, in that case the OP seems fooked tbh
    Wont get a MAC for months, wont get a C&R for months
    Move house perhaps? ;)
    Not Here, Feb 8, 2006
  16. John

    Paul Cupis Guest

    *If* the current ISP won't give a MAC code or cease the service, he can
    "change the status" of the BT line - BT will initiate a cease of the
    ADSL and he can re-order with another ISP.

    As to the specifics of what BT consider a "change of status" in this
    context, I'll leave a BT person to answer.
    Paul Cupis, Feb 8, 2006
  17. John

    Kraftee Guest

    More like, change of number as the DSL is linked to the telephone
    number. Mind you I have known 1 end user who cancelled his telephone
    & the DSL worked merrily away until he return to BT about 3 years
    later. Then it was ceased & they had to pay to get it reconnected.
    Kraftee, Feb 8, 2006
  18. John

    rob Guest

    I think the OP said the card was due to expire - in which case if the
    company does not respond to the instruction to cease then they may not
    continue after the expiry date. There are ways they may try that might get
    them the money - but I would have thought you would have had cause to
    complain to the bank if that happened.
    rob, Feb 8, 2006
  19. John

    rob Guest

    I think the OP said the card was due to expire - in which case if the
    company does not respond to the instruction to cease then they may not
    continue after the expiry date. There are ways they may try that might get
    them the money - but I would have thought you would have had cause to
    complain to the bank if that happened.
    rob, Feb 8, 2006
  20. John

    Mike GW8IJT Guest


    That's being unhelpful, bloody minded & stupid.
    Mike GW8IJT, Feb 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.