Request for Tips: Intalling Windows x64 on a P4 Prescott

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm currently attempting to install the Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise
    Edition 180-day evaluation on a computer that has a Pentium 4 Prescott CPU
    (x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel)

    The machine is currently running WinXP Pro 32-bit and I created a seperate
    NTFS partition ready to receive Windows Server 2003 x64. All partitions on
    the machine are NTFS. I set the machine to boot from the Installation CD and
    upon booting, I get the error: "Attempting to load an x64 operating system,
    however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode. Please install a 32-bit x86
    operating system."

    The Pentium 4 Prescott CPU supports EM64T. Could the problem be the BIOS and
    if not, what other steps could I take to determine the root of the problem?
    Any insight is much appreciated.

    Best regards,

    Matoos

    Guest, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Guest

    NNBXX Guest

    Hi,

    Unfortunately, *not* all Prescotts support EM64T. It depends on what model
    you have.

    Regards,

    Jean-Baptiste

    NNBXX, Jul 19, 2005

  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 19, 2005
  4. Jean-Baptiste is right. Not all Prescott CPUs are EM64T. But if you're _sure_
    your particular one is, then it could be a BIOS issue, or possible an older
    chipset that doesn't allow the 64-bit extensions to be recognized.

    Just one thing I very much prefer about AMD -- you know right from the name
    whether the CPU is x64 compatible.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Make sure the mobo supports EM64T and that you have upgraded the BIOS. In
    general, Pentiums require a mobo replacement if the unit is more than just a
    few months old. First stop is the mobo manufacturer for a compatibility
    check.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 19, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The technical article about checking the registry value for
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE only displays the same x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping
    4 that I found in the system information tool.

    Do any of you know of an online table listing processors by Family, Model,
    and Stepping value?

    I'm looking into the Mother Board and BIOS as we speak.

    Thanks for all of your replies, you brought me one step closer to the answer.

    Matoos

    Guest, Jul 19, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks all for you feedback. While determining my system specs, I encountered
    a tool on the Intel site which uses the CPUID instruction to quickly show you
    what your CPU hardware is and what instruction sets it supports. What a
    convenient tool. It can be found here:
    http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

    Unfortunately, my P4 Prescott does not support EM64T.

    Cheers!

    Matoos

    Guest, Jul 19, 2005