    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 31, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Just as a matter of asking, this whole trial thing you've been on about, how
    do you download the 120day trial with your brand spanking new computer to
    make sure it works, and if it does, then buy the OEM licence??? don't ya have
    ta buy it at the same time? or is there an additional tiral period when you
    buy the 64bit OEM licence?

    Guest, Aug 31, 2005

  3. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    You download it on the computer you are using to access this newsgroup or
    order a CD from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    If it works for you, you buy an OEM copy from your local computer store or
    online
    There is no additional trial when you buy.
    If you need help installing the OEM over your trial, search the site or post
    back.

    John Barnes, Aug 31, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I thought if you bought an OEM licence you had to buy hardwae at the same
    time? or did i just make that up :p lol.

    Guest, Aug 31, 2005
  5. Guest

    DKI Guest

    That is true for the majority of countrys like the US and UK. its part of
    the liciencing agreement. only one or 2 countrys it does not apply
    apparantly.

    DKI, Aug 31, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    So how the flying monkeys dung are you supposed to check that the 64bit
    version works! It means thart you have to go out and buy another piece of
    hardware as well! sighs...

    Guest, Aug 31, 2005
  7. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    You do. Many sites just include some piece of hardware in the price, such
    as a cable of some sort.

    John Barnes, Aug 31, 2005
  8. Guest

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Errr.... you aren't supposed to! (check). Neither were you supposed to for
    Windows XP or Win9x or Win2000 etc etc etc.... Get real! This is commercial
    software!! It's not shareware fer chrissakes! ;-)

    IMNSHO, if you are even just considering using x64 Edition XP, then there
    needs to be 1 of 2 distinct conditions met for your part in the first place:

    1) You already have a 64bit capable motherboard/bios with 64bit version of
    CPU in place.
    2) You are contemplating building a new PC from the ground up and would like
    to go the 64bit route.

    If you don't meet either of these, forget the 64bit route for now.

    MS has already played its part by producing a 64bit capable OS and you have
    a guarantee of that that comes with the shipped OEM product. Yes, there'll
    be bugs. What version 1.0 of ANYTHING does NOT have bugs?! The fact is, it
    installs and works in its basic form. You have no need of "trying" it.
    Hardware driver support issues are NOT MS's responsibility IMO. Newsgroups
    and resources like this will give you prior knowledge of factors to take
    into account before you take the plunge...

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Aug 31, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Have you even bothered to read the thread? other contributors to the thread
    were recommending that you use the trial version first. So as you don't end
    up with the same problems as Jeremey Wong, besideds Windows XP or Win9x or
    Win2000 arent like Windows 64bit, there on the same fuking architecture!

    Guest, Aug 31, 2005
  10. You have to buy an OEM license with qualifying hardware. Given that a
    rebuilt mouse($1.99 USD or so) appears to satisfy the qualifying hardware
    requirement, that hasn't been an issue. Many people here on the newsgroups
    believe that users should be buying 32-bit and running the demo version of
    64-bit in dual boot until they're sure they want to make the jump, then buy
    a full copy of 64-bit. Personally, I recommend that users do some research
    first (and this newsgroup is a great resource for that), and then buy what
    they expect to use and use it. But that no user who isn't comfortable with
    being an early adopter and dealing with problems, incompatibilities and
    workarounds on their own should be buying x64 Edition right now. For me,
    it's the right thing to run. For my Aunt Mary, who uses her XP machine for
    email and web surfing, and who isn't comfortable with making changes or
    dealing with problems, it isn't. And for ANY of the people who come here and
    ask if their computer can run it, (or who seem to think that my email
    address is for personal tech support), x64 Edition isn't for you. Being an
    early adopter means being fairly self-reliant, IMHO.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 31, 2005
  11. That is correct -- and qualifying hardware means a non-peripheral. But a
    mouse isn't a peripheral, it's a basic part of the system. And a rebuilt
    mouse can be had for ~1.99 USD or so.

    In general, the "qualifying hardware" has been very liberally interpretted
    by all the online retailers I've seen. And it's legal as I read the
    licensing agreement.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 31, 2005
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Sep 1, 2005
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I agree that MS is not responsible.
    I also agree that system biulders should do thier research.
    However, x64 bit is more expensive than 32 bit version.
    When I buy windows 2000 server, I can downgrade to Windows NT.
    Microsoft is not here to 'teach us a lesson oops you screwed up, learn from
    it'
    Most other vendors would say 'oh, hell- we'll help you straighten this out,
    no problem' This is not a matter of legality or responsibility, or making
    demands as if MS were legaly bound to do it. Instead of some pimply-faced
    punk telling us 'shoulda coulda, learned a lesson didnt ya?' MS could easily
    provide this downgrade path AS THEY DO FOR OTHER OS's. They are just like
    Cisco. Too big to help even if someone did make an unintentional mistake. I
    see Wongs Request as just that, a request. If you don't have any helpful
    input, go back to playing your online game. If MS shares the same attitude
    regarding customer satisfaction as you do, you can be SURE I will be the
    first one off the MS boat when something else finally comes floating by AND
    IT EVENTUALLY WILL.
    You don't create customer loyalty this way. That's what this is really about.
    And yes system biulders, regardless of volume or where they bought it, ARE
    STILL MS CUSTOMERS directly or indirectly. At the end of the day, if I feel
    MS could've easily done more without a great expense but didn't, I'm going
    elsewhere when the situation allows for it. Nothing some young punk says will
    change that and collectively it will eventually have a negative impact on MS.

    I agree and see no problem with Wongs request as it is a valid one.

    Guest, Sep 2, 2005
  14. Yes, a useful site. It is occasionally at the mercy of the quality of the
    reporter (some list errors or failures that I know can be worked around, for
    example.) But they seem to have done a better job than most at validating
    and compiling a useful list.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 3, 2005
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have to pop in on this one.

    1) I totally agree that if you have the 64 bit version you have downgrade
    rights to the 32 bit version and in fact it very well could use the same key
    code. You can do this with every other MS product including PRO to Home
    (yuck, who would ever want to do that).

    2) I know that for the volume license versions if you have a licensed 32 bit
    version you can have the 64 bit version for only the cost of the media. If I
    remember correctly these use the same keycode.

    3) MS should have released the 64 bit version with a 32 bit install on the
    same media. This would totally solve this kind of problem. You bring up the
    system in 64 bit mode and test. If everything is not right yet you fall back
    to 32 until new drivers are released then try again. That way everyone is
    happy.

    Guest, Sep 6, 2005

  16. That's not true at all. There have *never* been downgrade rights to go
    from a 64-bit OS to a 32-bit OS.

    You don't remember correctly.

    Why? If the "purchaser" is even semi-conscious, he's capable of
    purchasing the correct OS in the first place.

    No, it wouldn't. People would still screw up, and still expect someone
    else to bail them out from their own mistakes.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Sep 7, 2005
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I don't think your right on this but I forgot to ask licensing.
    Your right, different key code but they give you both. See next.
    Real simple reason, not all of the vendors have upgraded their drivers yet.
    By having both version you can test the 64 bit version and if it does not
    work you can move back to the 32 until drivers are working.

    BTW, MS did this for the server 2003 product. When you order it you get all
    three, X32, X42 and Itanium. They did not do it for the Retail version of XP
    althought when talking to the license group they think that maybe they should
    have done so because of the driver and software issues moving to X64. There
    going to have A LOT of calls on this.
    Not true. They would not have to worry about being bailed out since they
    would have both versons.

    Guest, Sep 8, 2005
  18. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I agree with you. If the product is less than 30 days old, you can return it
    to Microsoft for a refund and then purchase the OS of your choice afterwards.

    Guest, Sep 22, 2005
  19. You cannot return an OEM product to Microsoft. Contract the manufacturer of
    the PC with which it came and talk to them.

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Sep 23, 2005