    and should not require the purchase of a 'full' version.
    I do agree that this is a very good reason they don't offer a retail
    version, but there is no reason to punish a customer either.

    John Barnes, Aug 23, 2005

  2. You may be right, I haven't looked recently to see what an acceptible
    predecessor is. If OEM Home, for example, is considered an acceptible
    predecessor to Retail Pro, then I would say your on legitimate grounds for
    an "upgrade" to 32-bit XP Pro.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 23, 2005

  3. I don't see how the XP upgrade edition would recognize either an
    installation of XP Pro x64 or the x64 cd as a "qualifying product for
    upgrade". He basically does not have an OS once he removes XP Pro x64
    unless he has a Windows cd for an older OS that is in the upgrade matirix.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 24, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It is because I assumed that Microsoft is a responsible company. I assumed
    that Microsoft produces good quality of operating system for the market. It
    is rather disappointing that Microsoft pushed the trouble-making product into
    the market for its long-term business strategy.

    Guest, Aug 24, 2005
  5. Wouldn't it be much simpler if the consumer just did a little product
    research *before* making a purchase? The he/she would have to ask
    someone else to bail him/herself out from his/her own mistake.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 24, 2005
  6. The operative word here is "assumed". You assumed that an OEM license
    carried all the rights and priveleges of a retail license. Of course you
    only assumed this because it was convenient for your situation.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 24, 2005
  7. Guest

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    Jeremy,

    Microsoft DID and HAS built an extremely good quality operating system. The
    problem you are having is not with Microsoft! The problem you are having
    are with the companies from which you bought the bluetooth device and the
    printer. If your printer is a Canon, then it is Canon's responsiblity to
    make sure their printer works with the operating system you have. It is the
    company that makes the bluetooth device's responsiblity to ensure their
    bluetooth product works with your operating system.

    Microsoft built a fantastic x64 bit version of Windows XP. Now it's time
    for the companies that make printers, scanners, mice, keyboards, bluetooth
    devices, etc. to start working to make sure the products that they make and
    sell to their customers work with Windows XP x64.

    Now, stop blaming Microsoft, and start blaming Canon and the manufacturer of
    the bluetooth device for them not working to ensure their products work on
    the operating system you/your friend purchased.

    You may not be aware, but there are serveral websites where some people have
    taken the time to make 64 bit drivers available for Windows XP x64. One of
    those websites is www.planetamd64.com. There are others as well, but this
    is one that I always think of off the top of my head. The other site you
    may want to try looking for drivers is www.softpedia.com. That site also
    has some 64 bit drivers. You should search both sites to see if you can find
    a device driver or installation software that supports 64 bit operating
    systems for the printer and bluetooth device you bought.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel
    rainbow sky travel DOT net

    Torrey Lauer, Aug 24, 2005
  8. Guest

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Nono, that is not necessary. Make purchase on the fly, and blame someone
    else if it doesn't work. That's the current society for you.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 24, 2005
  9. Guest

    Jimmy Guest

    This is exactly why Microsoft is NOT making 64-bit windows a RETAIL product.

    Jimmy, Aug 24, 2005
  10. Not always. My Windows 2000 is an upgrade OEM version and my son's laptop
    came with Windows98 and a coupon for an upgrade OEM version of XP Home.

    David R. Norton MVP, Aug 25, 2005
  11. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    I was speaking of my own experience. Thanks for the info.
    I still personally feel that it should be allowable to use an x86
    Professional Retail version upgrade version to upgrade from x64 OEM once
    they discover x64 is not for them.
    Incidentally, the TAP is an upgrade from OEM (or Retail) to OEM. Per
    Microsoft description, there doesn't have to be an upgrade path, only the
    ownership of an eligible Windows OS and can always be accomplished with a
    clean install if desired.

    John Barnes, Aug 25, 2005
  12. My guess is that OEM versions of Win2k and WinXP were made only for people
    buying a computer just prior or just after release of the newer OS so folks
    would buy rather than wait.
    Yes and no. Microsoft did make the trial version available so people should
    know if it'll work. Now that the trial version is gone the only way to test
    it apparently is to "ask the man who owns one" and do a lot of reading.

    BTW, I don't believe it would be possible to do an upgrade from x64 to x32
    would it? I think you'd have to format and install X32 from scratch.

    David R. Norton MVP, Aug 25, 2005
  13. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    As my post said, per Microsoft, an 'upgrade' does not have to have an
    upgrade path, you can always do a clean install of an 'upgrade' version.
    And yes, you would in this case have to do an install from scratch.

    John Barnes, Aug 25, 2005
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It must be a HP computer.

    Guest, Aug 27, 2005
  15. Guest

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Just what does this bring to the discussion? HP makes very good computers.
    Don't know what your smarta** remark is supposed to mean. Perhaps you'd
    like to explain what your post meant?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 27, 2005
  16. Try and get XP Pro x64 on a consumer HP.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 27, 2005
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    As I recall, iof you own say a version of WIndows XP, then you are\allowed to
    run a copy of 2000 or lower instead. Surely as an owner of a 64bit licence
    you should be entitled to use a 32bit imnplemenetation instead. That way all
    you would have to do is buy a copy of the media and not a new licence... Not
    sure how to verify this, might be worth asking around.

    Guest, Aug 30, 2005
  18. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    I think you need to READ a license agreement. Your OEM x64 license
    agreement allows the use of the x64 system on the machine on which it is
    originally installed. The one upon which you install your COA.

    John Barnes, Aug 30, 2005
  19. wrong on all counts, I'm afraid. License for XP doesn't grant you license
    for previous versions of Windows, nor is there any right to use 32-bit
    because you have a 64-bit license -- any more than the reverse is true, I
    might add. The TAP program was a one-time EXCHANGE of an existing 32-bit
    license for a 64-bit license. Once exchanged, the 32-bit license was
    invalidated, and there's no going back.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 30, 2005
  20. Read? why, when it's so much easier to just make it up as you go along?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 30, 2005