    However, there is no mechanism of the downgrade process. From the view of a
    consumer, it is misleading to purchase "Microsoft Windows XP x64" as a member
    of the "Microsoft Windows XP" series.

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Guest

    Jerry Guest

    There is no such thing as a downgrade license from XP 64 to XP 32.

    Jerry, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It would be good if Microsoft provides the downgrade license from XP 64 to XP
    32.

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005
  4. One problem is that it is an OEM license.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 23, 2005
  5. Guest

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    There are two problems with your scenario;

    Your friend has an OEM license, not one from Microsoft. If there is to be
    any "downgrade", it will come from the manufacturer and not Microsoft.

    Your issue is with the hardware manufacturer, not with Microsoft. Let
    Canon and the others know that will no longer buy their products. Let them
    know how dissatisfied you are with their lack of support for a shipping OS.

    Downgrading would only encourage the OEMs to not produce drivers for WinXP
    Pro x64.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 23, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    What is the problem as it is an OEM license?

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It is a self-assemble computer. The OEM license was obtained when I purchased
    the hardware in a computer shopping centre. It is a common practice to have
    the OEM license in this way.

    That means that there is no other hardware manufacturer. The end-user
    obtained the OEM license in a shop. The product I bought is "Microsoft
    Windows XP", having the brand name "Microsoft". I would say that it is an
    improper use of the brand "Microsoft Windows XP" as it misleaded me, at
    least, that the "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition" is compatible
    with other products sold under the brand name of "Microsoft Windows XP".

    Sorry that I do not want to argue whatever license it is. I only want to
    have the problem solved. A consumer paid for a product, but the product did
    not work as expected. Why should the consumer pay for the product?

    It is reasonable to downgrade from x64 to its 32-bit counterpart as we pay
    for each license. We are not using any pirate copy...

    It is irresponsible to sacrifice the end-user as a mean to "encourage" the
    hardware manufacturers producing 64-bit drivers. I urge you to provide free
    courses for porting drivers to 64-bit Windows, especially to those hardware
    manufacturers owning a large market segment. Another mean is to have Intel
    and AMD announcing not to ship 32-bit CPU any more. The hardware manufactuers
    may then start to consider a support of the 64-bit windows.

    Jeremy Wong

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005
  8. 1.) Read the license. There IS NO retail product for x64. The OEM product is
    NOT a retail product, it is tied to the hardware. It is forever linked to
    the hardware it was bought with. It is the responsibility of the system
    builder (in this case the person who assembled it) to ensure compatibility
    and provide support for it.
    2.) There is no downgrade path. None. You may, of course, buy a 32-bit
    license and install it, either OEM or Retail. If it's OEM, it's tied to the
    computer it's bought for/with. If it's retail, it is not, you may remove it
    from one machine and install it on another.
    3.) There are perfectly good bluetooth adapters and printers that work fine
    with x64 Edition. I know, because I'm running both here. Again, it is the
    responsibility of the OEM to ensure compatibility.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 23, 2005
  9. Because MS is not responsible for selling and supporting it. The PC maker
    is.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 23, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    If you were the system builder, how can you ensure the compatibility and
    provide the support? Let you know how the items were purchased. The friend
    bought a computer together with Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition on day 1.
    Then the friend bought the multi-function printer on day 2. The Bluetooth-USB
    adapter was tested with the x64 windows on day 3.

    It is a fact the the OEM license is purchased from a local computer shop.

    It is understood that there is no downgrade path from x64 to 32-bit. I
    request for a creation of the path..

    There are many printers and bluetooth adapters available in the market, few
    of them support 64-bit windows. Supporting 64-bit windows is not the only
    criteria in considering a product. Taking printer into consideration, I would
    calculate the cost of ink, laser toner. I know that HP provides 64-bit
    drivers, but the ink of HP printers is very expensive comparing with other
    products in the market. The bluetooth adapter supports bluetooth headset, it
    requires Windows XP. It works fine in 32-bit XP, never in 64-bit XP.

    It is intuitive to regard the x64 edition as a member of the "Microsoft
    Windows XP" series. I do not observe the requirements of the peripherals
    distinguishing between 32-bit edition and 64-bit edition. Who know that they
    are incompatible in some sense?

    It is a serious problem of "Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition"
    including the brand "Microsoft Windows XP", because the x64 edition is not
    compatible with other members of the Microsoft Windows XP family.

    Don't put your customer's trouble as a mean to encourage the hardware
    manufacturer to support 64-bit windows.

    Jeremy Wong

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005
  11. Guest

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    See my inline answers;

    Again, you really need to understand that Microsoft has no obligation in
    regard to your
    current problem.
    Two points;

    1. You (or your friend) chose the printer. Evidently, the choice was made
    without regard
    to the fact that there are no 64 bit drivers for it. The printer was not
    manufactured by Microsoft.
    The printer is not supported by Microsoft. Why should Microsoft be held
    responsible for a
    purchase decision either you or your friend made?

    I own several HP printers. I do the majority of my printing in draft mode.
    I do a lot of printing.
    My HP cartridges last for months, and are very economical considering the
    number of pages
    (both text and color) that I get. Your afrgument about the cost of ink has
    not bearing on your vain attempt to make Microsoft culpable for your (or
    your friends) lack of reseach and inept buying of products known to be
    unsupported by Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
    Just because you do not "observe" the requirements, it does not make anyone
    else responsible.
    Anyone with basic computer skills that can use a search engine can very
    quickly and very easily learn what peripherals are supported, and which are
    not. Your arrogance does not exclude or protect you,
    and your arrogance most definitely does not make Microsoft or anyone else
    responsible for your decisions and choices. You sound like a spoiled little
    baby here.
    This is a wild statement to make. You have no concept of what you are
    claiming here. May Microsoft "family" applications run fine: Microsoft
    Office, Windows Movie Maker, etc, run just fine under Microsoft Windows XP
    x64 Professional Edition. You fail to grasp the reality here...
    Unless you make your dissatisfaction known, then it is even more unlikely
    that Canon or any other
    manufacturer will do anyhing ...again you miss the point entirely. Vote
    with your wallet, and boycott any and every OEM that does not support
    Microsoft Windows XP x64 Professional Edition. There are many that do, and
    many that don't. Send emails to those that don't. Tell them that they have
    lost another customer. If one person does it, so what? If everyone who has
    problems does it, and stops buying their products, then they will *have* to
    do something. Your whining to Microsoft will serve no purpose. Microsoft is
    under no obligation whatsoever to provide drivers for the hardware you
    bought. Please read the preceeding sentence over and over until it begins
    to sink in to your adlled brain. You are barking up the wrong tree...

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 23, 2005
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Can a PC maker support the 64-bit issue..?

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005
  13. Guest

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Yes; it is what is intended. Windows XP professional is sold as an OEM only
    purchase to be supported by the vendor you bought it from. If they do not
    support it, you are out of luck.
    Are you going to continue to beat this poor dead horse forever? Microsoft
    has no obligation to you in this matter. Never did, never will. Accept it.
    Go on with your life. Learn from this experience. Don't jump into
    something unless you are fully aware of what you are getting into.

    Microsoft owes you nothing.

    Stop whining.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 23, 2005
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Good reply.

    I conclude that Microsoft does not take the responsibility, so does Canon.

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005
  15. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    There is a downgrade path. It's called buy an x86 license or product. You
    are the one who failed to take advantage of the 'trial' version to make sure
    that it was right for you.

    John Barnes, Aug 23, 2005
  16. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It sounds a good news to me. However I cannot find the x86 license available
    from Microsoft's web site. Could you provide the SKU code of the x86 license
    so that I may order it for my friend.

    Guest, Aug 23, 2005
  17. The x86 license is not a bargain. It costs as much or more than you can buy
    32-bit XP retail edition for on eBay.

    Colin Barnhorst MVP, Aug 23, 2005
  18. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    If you go the ebay route make sure you are dealing with a licensed dealer,
    otherwise, caveat emptor

    Also, does anyone know if he can buy an upgrade version or will the upgrade
    version ignore the installed windows x64 version when installing?
    It seems only fair that if he has a legal recently purchased version of
    Windows, he should be able to buy an upgrade version. But this is
    Microsoft!!!

    John Barnes, Aug 23, 2005
  19. Guest

    warpsix Guest

    I can't belive people would buy it with out looking at a newsgroup or
    maybe downloading the 120 day free trial just to make sure it works

    warpsix, Aug 23, 2005
  20. No, the upgrade version will not "upgrade" x64, and it won't see it. Also,
    given that he is on an OEM/System builder license, there is explicitly no
    upgrade path except through his OEM/System Builder.

    There is a very good reason that MS doesn't have a retail version of XP x64
    Edition, and this thread is exactly why.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 23, 2005