Replacing on board sound

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sunny, May 4, 2006.

  1. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Just built a Win98SE system to run some old glide games :
    M/Board - MSI K7T Turbo (AMD 900) and AWARD BIOS
    Not sure just what to delete/disable of the onboard sound, before installing
    a Cobra (AOpen) AW-850 Sound card.

    BIOS Detail currently :
    "Advanced Chipset Features"
    On Chip Sound (ac97) - Auto
    On Chip Modem - Auto
    "Integrated Peripherals"
    Onboard Legacy Audio - Enabled
    Sound Blaster - Disabled
    SB i/o Base Address - 220H
    SB irq Select - IRQ 5
    MPU-401 - Disabled
    MPU-401 i/o Address - 330-333H
    Game Port (200-207H) - Enabled

    Device Manager - Sound Video Game Controllers
    Gameport Joystick
    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller

    Add/Remove Programs ;
    VIA Audio Driver Setup Program

    Confused about
    a. the onboard "legacy" Audio, the "Sound Blaster" and MPU-401.
    b. deleting the gameport in Device Manager (The sound card has one)
    Any help appreciated.

    Sunny, May 4, 2006

  2. Sunny

    art2u Guest

    Disable "On Chip Sound (ac97)"
    Remove "VIA Audio Driver Setup Program"

    shutdown computer, install new soundcard. start computer and install
    and drivers, programs that came with new soundcard.

    -Art- (not Art)

    art2u, May 4, 2006

  3. Sunny

    Sunny Guest

    Thanks, one more though ;
    The sound card doesn't come with much detail on it's features, but I assume
    that the audio cable (CDROM to Card) gets connected to the one I asterisked
    ?
    J3 - CD in for Sony
    J4 - CD in for Panasonic
    J6 - Aux in