    that's off the heatsink and should be removed or if it's part of the
    processor!
    HELP!

    Devi, Aug 23, 2005

  2. Devi

    JTJersey Guest

    Looks ok from what I can see in the pics. The pad on the bottom of the
    heat sink is thermal tape. If it has a clear plastic covering on it
    remove the plastic. If it's just a thin sticky paste leave it alone.
    Clean off the old thermal paste on top of your processor however. Looks
    like you've got a larger heatsink using a slightly larger fan which
    probably spins somewhat slower which makes it quieter, but should give the
    same cooling capability. Why are you changing the heat sink out by the
    way?

    JTJersey, Aug 23, 2005

  3. Devi

    Devi Guest

    The pc seems to power up when she switches on but it turns itself off
    before it gets to the boot up stage. All the lights on the case front come
    on but there is no bios beep and then it switches off. I thought most likely
    cause was fan not working.
    So do you think I could use the new heatsink after all? The paste on the
    processor seems pretty stuck - how do I get it off?
    Thanks for the help by the way

    Devi, Aug 24, 2005
  4. Devi

    Robert Baer Guest

    I seriously doubt heating of the CPU is the problem.
    What i would do, is disconnect all IDE devices and unplug all
    daughter boards except the video board.
    Then i would use a DOS boot floppy to see how or if it operates.
    I *always* use a write-protected, "clean" floppy (created by DOS and
    only has DOS commands on it).
    If it works OK, then one of those IDE devices may have been connected
    incorrectly or went bad.
    So, one at a time, connect each one and *still* boot with the floppy.
    Check the BIOS to see if it properly recognizes the IDE devices each
    time (ia a hard drive in CHS mode - if so, you have a problem with that
    drive).

    Robert Baer, Aug 24, 2005
  5. Devi

    Devi Guest

    Oh dear, that sound even more complicated! I have her hard drive in a
    different computer at the moment and that boots fine so presumably it's not
    that

    Devi, Aug 24, 2005
  6. Devi

    tigger Guest

    I have exactly the same problem. However, my solution (at present), if it
    doesn't start, is to switch off at the mains, wiggle the mains cable where
    it enters the psu, switch on the mains and restart. Almost every time it
    goes ok. I do then have to OK the bios but thats no hassle. Originally, i
    found that wiggling USB cables at the back did the same thing and my local
    PC shop said it *could* be a dry joint between the card and the motherboard.
    Since experimenting and *only* wriggling the mains cable the shop has
    suggested it might be the psu on its way out.

    HTH

    tigger, Aug 24, 2005
  7. Devi

    Simon Lee Guest

    I seriously doubt heating of the CPU is the problem.
    If the fan isn't spinning (as previously stated in an older topic by this
    user), it is usually the Motherboard cutting power off to stop the CPU from
    frying.
    Believe me, I have tried and tested this myself!

    Simon Lee, Aug 25, 2005
  8. Devi

    Devi Guest

    It was the power supply!

    Devi, Aug 26, 2005
  9. Devi

    Simon Lee Guest

    It was the power supply!

    I don't mean any offence but it was only a couple of weeks ago you said your
    system was powering on, switching off after a few seconds and that the CPU
    fan wasn't rotating at power on.
    The above description suggests it could be a CPU Fan fault and the Computer
    is automatically preventing itself from burning the CPU.
    If you actually want help from the newsgroup, it will only work if you get
    your facts correct as if the parameters of the problem are completely
    changed several times, every single piece of advice made is going to be in
    conflict (e.g.: It's like saying that my car's headlights switch on but the
    engine won't start and then several days later saying I didn't have a
    battery fitted! It completely renders everything previously said useless and
    senseless).

    Simon Lee, Aug 26, 2005
  10. Devi

    Devi Guest

    When the pc was switched on, the power lights came on but it never got as
    far the boot before it switched itself off again - which is what I think I
    said in the OP. I changed the heatsink and fan to no effect. I changed the
    power supply and it boots normally. Those are the facts.

    Devi, Aug 26, 2005