Replacing a Kodak DC4800 with something else

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    My wife dropped my DC4800 yesterday, and the lcd on the back functions
    poorly now. Which is actually fine by me, since it allows me to
    replace it with something else now. :)

    Anyway, being just a casual shutterbug now (haven't had a darkroom for
    about 20 years) I'm not looking for anything hugely powerful or
    expensive. Just something for my "joe average" pictures - my new
    baby, family, holidays, server rooms I set up, etc...

    One of the things I never cared for much on the Kodak was the form
    factor. I like having something compact so I can just stick it in my
    inside jacket pocket if I want, rather than having to lug it around in
    my hand or in a carrying case. This naturally limits my options.

    Having figured to spend someplace between $350 and $500, I've pretty
    much narrowed down my choice for the moment to the Canon Powershot
    S50. I was also looking at Canon Powershot A80, but the S50 seems to
    have a form factor more like I'm looking for.

    I'd like something I can take short little video clips with
    (understanding fully that if I want to take real quality video I'll
    pull out my camcorder) just for the convenience. I also want
    something with some manual override ability. CF card is preferred,
    since between my current digital camera and one of my PDA's I've
    already got several 256MB and a 512MB CF card.

    Megapixel isn't too large a factor, since my 3.1MP Kodak DC4800 so far
    has done ok by me. I have a new HP Photosmart 7960 printer and the
    photos from the kodak look great. So I'm kind of looking forward to
    what a newer camera can do with my new printer.

    Anyway, anyone here with similar needs who already purchased one of
    the more compact cameras have any pros / cons they've noticed with
    their particular brand? Dpreview.com has some handy info, and I've
    read through many of the models and the owner's comments, but I
    haven't taken the days necessary to read through all the models and
    all their comments, so I'm hoping I can get responses geared towards
    what I'm looking at, since so many of the cameras on the website don't
    fit my bill.

    Thanks for any input.

    john

    John, Oct 30, 2003

  2. John

    John Guest

    One more quick question (hence the top post - sorry). The guy I
    talked to at infinitycameras.com was more like those people pushing
    the ab roller and junk on infomercials. One of the things he said (to
    try to back up selling me a new battery when I called to inquire about
    the price of the camera) was that the battery that comes with it lasts
    under 20 minutes. On dpreview.com it certainly showed better battery
    life than that. Any owners have real-life usage info on the battery?

    Thanks!

    John

    John, Oct 30, 2003

  3. John

    Ron Baird Guest

    Hi John,

    Sounds like you are trolling for advice on a new camera. You note that you
    have enjoyed the use of the DC4800 (nice model). If you are OK with that
    size, then you might want to check the DX6490. It is in your price range,
    has similar features (more) to the DC4800 but does not use a CFC card.
    Rather Kodak has gone to the MMC/SD version (smaller) and more compact.
    Anyway, though I work for Kodak I do like this camera. It is a great model
    and does a terrific job. Nice optics. Just thought I would share with you
    should you have an interest.

    Talk toyou soon.

    Ron Baird
    Kodak