    whatever program is needed doesn't have a long learning curve... I'm not
    THAT interested in reading questionable credibility.

    Any advise would be apprecaited.

    jaygreg, Aug 18, 2006

  2. jaygreg

    Todd H. Guest

    You already have Mozilla firefox for web browsing.

    Increase your Mozilla foo with their mail client Mozilla Thunderbird.
    It's rather nice. Get it at mozilla.com. It's free and works well.

    Todd H., Aug 18, 2006

  3. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    I'm confused. I thought FireFox was exclusivelt for web browsing. I use
    Outlook (not Outlook Express) for my mail because of the calendar and
    Business Contact Manager (which I'm just exploring at this point). I've used
    Outlook Express merely to go to forums ... newsgroups. I do have Mozella
    Thunderbird but haven't configured it for newsgroups. It looks like a lot of
    overhead to just handle newsgroups considering I'm not using the mail
    portion.

    jaygreg, Aug 18, 2006
  4. jaygreg

    Todd H. Guest

    It is.
    Okay now I'm confused. Are you looking to fix your exposure on the
    mail side the news side or both?

    If you want to replace Outlook Express, generally, Thunderbird is the
    recommendation. It replaces all OE functionality without being a
    godawful frontend to the activeX wielding internet explorer.

    If you're only looking for a better GUI newsreader than OE, then Free
    Agent from Forte is a reasonable choice. But then again, so is
    Thunderbird. If that's really what you want, re-ask your question as
    "best free newsreader for windows?"

    Todd H., Aug 18, 2006
  5. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    I was hoping to address whatever threat I'm subjected to by using OE to read
    newsgroups. I hadn't thought much about email because I've been using
    Outlook for email and contacts for so long. without incident. If I could
    find something to replace the calendar that serves me so well, I might
    consider leaving Outlook all together if its so vulnerable.

    I'll post under "best free newsreader for windows?" . Thanks for your help.

    jaygreg, Aug 19, 2006
  6. jaygreg

    Todd H. Guest

    The problem with OE is that it's tied to IE, and that whole mess of
    ActiveX et al.
    Free Agent and Thunderbird will probably be mentioned pretty quickly
    I'm guessing. Good luck.

    Todd H., Aug 19, 2006
  7. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    Thanks, Todd. I'll take another look at Thunderbird.

    jaygreg, Aug 19, 2006