Repeated ( but not "repeatable" ) system crash -- XP Home on newhardware

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Richard Owlett, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. An Eastcoast friend is asking me (Midwest) to remotely help him
    remotely help his father on the Westcoast.

    Father's description of the problem is:

    /Begin Quote
    I recently obtained a new bigger, faster computer. We thought we had
    a good bargain at a big electronics discount store
    It is an e-machines It was on display but had little or no hours on it.
    After only a few hours of use it developed a turn-on problem, Minor
    but annoying.
    At first it would sometimes go through the start-up routine to its
    manufacturer logo, then stop dead with a one-line message: "Cannot
    find operating system" and stop. If I now turn off the computer power
    with its front-panel switch and then immediately turn it back on, the
    computer goes on normally to the XP "Welcome". If I wait too long
    while off, it stalls again. Once it went on into a scan disk mode.
    All of this is not a big deal, except for a not-so-simple question: is
    this related to the new shut-down routine under XP or a defective
    computer which should be returned. I had seen very similar behavior
    in my "old" computer
    /End Quote

    Any ideas?
    Yes, I know the description's not great.

    Richard Owlett, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Richard Owlett

    olfart Guest

    since it was a display model and probably moved around a good bit I would
    first remove the case and check that all connectors are firmly seated. If he
    is uncomfortable doing this then take it back and have the seller check it.

    olfart, Feb 21, 2004

  3. I understand that was done when my friend was visiting his father some
    time back. The problem "went away" and they proceeded to install and
    configure much software. Problem reappeared after my friend returned home.
    I voted for a "refund request". Problem is he has no to reinstall
    existing software -- including some accessibility aids.

    Richard Owlett, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Richard Owlett

    Dan Shea Guest

    That gets my vote too. There's no reason to put up with these
    symptoms in a new computer. Besides, it's an eMachine. He'll be
    lucky if that's the worst trouble it gives him.
    I think there's a missing word or something in that sentence. You
    mean he has no *way* to reinstall existing software? I find that hard
    to believe. If he did it once, on this new computer, he should be
    able to do it again.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Richard Owlett

    ICee Guest

    The problem is in the computer and it should be returned. It could be
    any number of things, however, there's a good chance that whatever it
    is, the problem will get worse, and eventually it won't boot at all.

    ICee, Feb 21, 2004
  6. TYPO and phrasing problem - should have read
    "Problem is he has to reinstall some existing software (purchased for
    previous machine) -- including some accessibility aids."
    The father has vision and fine motor control problems which cause
    problems until the aids are in and programs set up for how he uses it.

    Richard Owlett, Feb 21, 2004
  7. Richard Owlett

    Budweiser Guest

    Use your consumer rights--product does not work as advertised etc---take it
    back---anything you do may invalidate warranties,and that could include
    opening the case etc.

    Budweiser, Feb 21, 2004
  8. Richard Owlett

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:26:16 -0600, Richard Owlett

    I know it's a PITA, but it beats putting up with a POS.

    I have a good friend who is nearly blind and has the accessibility
    options set up for her poor vision. Do you happen to know if your
    friend's father uses special software, and if so, what it is? I'm
    looking for something pretty high-powered for her.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 21, 2004
  9. I know he has some screen magnification software. Most of the rest is
    careful tweaking of options of each program he uses. I'll send my
    friend a note to get a list.

    I'll also check on what my pastor uses. He is legally blind -- no
    central vision, poor to moderate for rest of field.

    Richard Owlett, Feb 22, 2004

  10. I was off a little about my friend's father. His vision problem was
    operable, so I assume cataracts. He has experimented with screen
    magnifiers, but is apparently not using regularly.

    My pastor is using an unknown screen magnifier on a 19" monitor. He
    also uses JAWS as a screen reader.

    Richard Owlett, Feb 23, 2004
  11. Richard Owlett

    Dan Shea Guest