  1. Jürgen Eidt

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    Do you have a sample somewhere to look at?

    Jürgen Eidt, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Jürgen Eidt

    Some Dude Guest

    Hi-

    I have a ton of jpeg files that I recovered off of CD and I believe
    they are only corrupt because of invalid JFIF frame headers..is there
    a program out there (preferably freeware) that will fix the headers?

    Or, alternatively, is it difficult to reconstruct these headers with
    the appropriate software?

    Thanks!

    Cheers,
    -sd
    http://www.zoom.sh

    Some Dude, Feb 18, 2004

  3. Jürgen Eidt

    Some Dude Guest

    Enclosed.

    Cheers,
    -sd
    http://www.zoom.sh

    Some Dude, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Jürgen Eidt

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:07:29
    Binaries (e.g., uuencoded programs or pictures) should NEVER be posted to
    discussion newsgroups; most discussion newsgroups do not permit binary posts.
    Post binaries to a *binaries* newsgroup only (or on a website or FTP server),
    with a notice in relevant discussion newsgroup(s).

    John Navas, Feb 19, 2004
  5. Jürgen Eidt

    Some Dude Guest

    plonk.

    Cheers,
    -sd
    http://www.zoom.sh

    Some Dude, Feb 19, 2004
  6. Jürgen Eidt

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    You might already noticed, that the news gate cut off your binary attachment
    for good reason.
    The preferred way is to put the file on some web space and post a link.

    Jürgen Eidt, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Jürgen Eidt

    Some Dude Guest

    nope its still there. (well on most news servers unless someone
    attempted to cancel it)

    i'll check your website for an email addy (assuming the one you list
    is spamproof)

    I read some into the JPEG JFIF spec (its an iso standard, thank god)
    and I am working on recreating some files using a simple hex
    editor..looks pretty basic, actually...but with the sheer amount of
    photos I have that may be broken, it would be more advantageous to
    find an automated program before I embark on writing one.

    Regarding attachments: as a user of uucp in the 80's and then usenet
    through the 90's until now, there is no harm done in posting binaries
    to text newsgroups. Usenet hasn't been "tame" since I'd guess about
    1994. You don't download the "binary" when you retrieve headers. It
    doesn't hurt anything. Proper "netiquette" may imply that because the
    group doesn't contain the word "binary" or "binaries" in it that you
    shouldn't post binaries to it. Then again, this group doesn't contain
    "nospam" and its laden with it. In fact, even the "nospam"
    sub-hierarchies are laden with it. So logically one should filter out
    articles of say, > 100 lines in their respective newsreaders and then
    I won't even exist to them. The "post no binaries to text
    newsgroups" doesn't have a whole lot of sense behind it anymore.
    However, there was a point in time (relative to the antiquated server
    software) where it wouldn't be a good idea. Its just a trend thats
    hung on.

    If you really want to see abuse of Usenet, look at the binary
    newsgroups that contain 1GB posts (in thousands of parts of course),
    such as entire DVD boxsets. A 100Kbyte post from me equates to
    probably 1/10th of all the spam in any single newsgroup (providing you
    don't have a terrible news provider) :)

    </thesis>

    my 2c...ignore it, >> /dev/null it..whatever it...flaming me for it is
    cool too..as long as I can post a dvd to this newsgroup. ..Just
    kidding :)

    thanks Jurgen.

    Cheers,
    -sd
    http://www.zoom.sh

    Some Dude, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Jürgen Eidt

    Rob Davison Guest

    Some Dude wrote:

    [...]
    So you don't have the excuse of ignorance.

    Some of us are still stuck with 28Kbaud modems. Webspace is easy to
    come by. Uploading a file there and posting a link is no harder than
    attaching it and is a damn sight more considerate.

    Rob.

    Rob Davison, Feb 19, 2004
  10. Jürgen Eidt

    Lionel Guest

    This is untrue. Many people (including myself, until recently) run news
    servers that only carry the text newsgroups & leave out the binary
    groups. These days, only the really huge commercial news providers
    attempt to carry the binary newsgroups in any serious way. By posting
    binaries to text newsgroups, you're screwing up every small news server
    on the planet that carries that group. Those small news servers vastly
    outnumber the big ones that do carry binaries. This is why your provider
    has rules against posting binaries to text newsgroups. (By the way, any
    group that isn't on the alt.binaries hierarchy, or specifically permits
    binaries in the charter, is officially a text only newsgroup.)

    Lionel, Feb 19, 2004
  11. Jürgen Eidt

    CSM1 Guest

    Some Dude:

    In spite of you trying to post a binary to this text news group and all the
    flames.

    Try to open the bad Jpeg or JFIF files in Windows Internet Explorer.
    Internet Explorer is more forgiving in opening pictures with bad headers.
    If you can open the image in Internet Explorer, just Right Click on the
    image and save Picture As. IE will then save the image with the headers
    reflecting the image size as opened in IE. (Turn off automatic image resize
    in IE).

    If the image will open in IE, you may be able to only save a .BMP. Then any
    Photo editor can convert the image to a Jpeg.

    Another program that may work is Irfanview.
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    Get the Plug-in, most of what Irfanview does is in the plug-in.
    Irfanview can convert BMP to JPG,

    The Jpeg standard. This is what EXIF images were built upon.
    http://www.jpeg.org/public/jfif.pdf

    The EXIF pdf's are on my web site.

    CSM1, Feb 19, 2004
  12. Jürgen Eidt

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:21:38
    Perhaps not from yours, but it is missing from the many newservers that filter
    binaries out of discussion newsgroups.
    You're either ignorant or clueless. Pollution of text newsgroups with huge
    binaries is a major reason for the explosion in traffic that is causing so
    many ISPs to cut back on Usenet.

    John Navas, Feb 19, 2004